Wednesday, October 10, 2012

When Caleb Lost His Weiner

Do you ever have moments when you look back and realize that God's way was absolutely the best way?

I read an article yesterday (okay, fine, it was a blog post) called, "When Ava Grew A Weiner." It was written by a Christian woman who explained that her 4-year old boy had originally been a "girl" on the ultrasound. She had become so attached to the idea of having a little girl that when she requested an additional ultrasound to confirm and discovered it was actually a boy, she was devastated. The little girl, who in her mind had already become Ava, was now going to be Brody. Obviously, now she wouldn't trade her Brody for anything!

I don't have little boys, so typing the word "weiner" seemed a little odd, but when I read her words, I immediately related to being so caught up in your expectations that you don't even want to know if God has a different plan.

When we got pregnant the second time, I was so sure it was going to be a boy this time. Everything felt different than when I had been pregnant with Bella; that just confirmed in my mind the idea that "Caleb" was growing inside of me. I've already written on here about how devastated I was when the ultrasound technician told us it was a girl. Lots and lots of crying followed.

How silly I was! And how thankful I am for my little Evelyn! As I was picking her up out of her crib this morning, I remembered those earlier feelings almost a year ago, and I thanked God (for the bajillionth time!) that He chose to give us an Evelyn instead of a Caleb.

One day, God may choose to give us a boy, but in this moment, when I get to see her wiggling on the bed or watch Steve give her kisses, I am blown away by the blessings God gave us through Evelyn, and I am so thankful that He knew the best way!

No comments: