Friday, January 10, 2014

Singing To Our Girls

Every night, when we put the girls to bed, we sing to them. Usually bedtime is Steve's "daddy time" with the girls, so I sing to Evelyn when I put her down for naps. 

When Evelyn was born, Bella was watching the Prince of Egypt, and Moses' Hebrew mother sings a beautiful song when she puts him in the basket in the river. Here are the lyrics...

"Hush now my baby. 
Be still now, don't cry.
I have a prayer just for you.
Sleep and remember my last lullaby, and I'll be with you when you dream."

I love it. It's simple and soothing, and I love singing it to her everyday. Even Steve knows the song now, and sings it to her when he puts her down at night.

For Bella, the song has changed over the years. We sing a few different ones to her each night, but the one that has stayed constant as the last song before she goes to bed is, "There's Something Mighty Sweet About the Lord." I love it when she started to learn the words herself, because she says "...something migh-Dy swee-TY 'bout the Looooord." It's fabulous.

Her favorite song right now is the theme song from Twilight. She obviously has no idea what that movie is, but somehow, they play the song on the Disney Princess channel on Pandora, and she thinks it's beautiful (which I think is awesome!). The lyrics are actually really sweet; here they are...

"I have died everyday waiting for you,
Darling, don't be afraid, 
I have loved you for a thousand years. 
I'll love you for a thousand more..."

Okay, so yes, the part about dying seems a little creepy, but luckily, her little toddler mind is weirdly obsessed with with death and bad guys now, anyway, so she doesn't seem to mind.

I grew up in a family where we were singing all of the time. Broadway shows, gospel music, acapella, and lots of oldies! Even now, when we come together, we're always singing. 

I want my girls to grow up in a home with lots of music! The girls' faces when Steve sings along in the car with them is priceless! And P.S. He has a really fantastic voice and can harmonize like a rock star! Which I'm super bitter about, but I've had to get over, because he's so good at it! 

So that's it! I just wanted to pause and write down the lyrics of their favorite lullabies right now. 




No comments: