Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I Caved...And Tweeted

I have never had a desire to join Twitter. I've basically decided that anything that comes after Facebook will be lost on me. My struggle with Facebook is to find a balance - I swing from checking it every 5 minutes to see who has liked the new picture I posted, to getting frustrated with it and deleting 3/4 of my friend list and the app on my phone, back to somewhere in the middle.
 
I feel like I've been doing okay with it lately; I don't have the app on my phone, but I still check it daily (and I'm okay with that). I like being able to upload pictures from Instagram to a larger audience, but I'm at a place where I don't want to jump off a cliff if not everyone in the universe thinks my latest picture of Evelyn is the cutest thing they've ever seen.
 
When Twitter came out, I never even had a moment's desire. Not because it's evil or a spiritual issue; for me, it's just too...constant. Everyone has those Facebook friends who tend to post a new update every few minutes of their day. (If you don't, then you might be that friend...) Twitter seems to be that on overload. I don't need the temptation of having a media outlet where I can post my every waking thought.
 
But then Sunday came. Our Pastor, who is an incredible speaker anyway, has been preaching some amazing sermons. They are tough in all the right ways, and he is truly challenging his people as he teaches the words of God. Pastor David happened to mention on Sunday that he was on Twitter. Since I was all caught up in the Spirit and everything, I thought, "Huh! It would be cool to read updates from Pastor throughout the week..."
 
Famous last words. I filled out my account, added my pictures, and searched for David's account. Done! And then I searched for Trey's account, because...why not! He's one of my best friends, I have him on a wee bit of a spiritual pedestal, and he's been a big brother, both spiritually and throughout life. Bonus! (You can see where this is going, right?) If I follow Trey, I have to follow Whitney! She's my best friend! I love the awesomely weird and twisted thoughts that come out of her head. Umm. And then I found the "suggested" list. Oooooo!!! Honest Toddler, Steve Carell, Louie Giglio, Jimmy Fallon, this is so exciting! NEIL PATRICK HARRIS!!!!
 
So here I am, twenty-four hours later, with one tweet that took me two minutes to figure out where to write it, and following only 12 people. Which, I think is super-sane in the face of current social media. (Do you like how I justified that for you? You're welcome.) If you're on Twitter, don't bother following me. Seriously. I'm a little excited about getting to read Neil Patrick Harris' thoughts on a non-stop basis, but I still don't plan on writing any little gems of my own.
 
Something about the best laid plans...
 

No comments: