Monday, August 8, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

I loved our weekend! Lots of friends and good times! Thursday night, we went out to a movie with our friends, Ben and Carolyn. Carolyn is due with her first baby (Sharpe) in September and has been gone for her medical school rotations for the last month, so this was the first time I've seen her in so long! It was so good to hug her, touch her belly (Yes, I'm one of those people), and laugh a lot! We spent Friday at home, watching Netflix in bed...one of my favorite weekend activities!

On Saturday, Whitney had a bridal shower to go to in Athens, so we came over and helped Trey with the kids. Bella LOVES their playroom - it has really soft carpet and the best couch ever! We lose track of her for long periods of time in that room. Whitney got home around 8:00, so we made s'mores and got to talk about what we wanted to accomplish in the new ministry with small groups and all of that.

Sunday was our opportunity to attend mass with Will and Erin. Steve and I have really been looking forward to this time to experience their service and get to talk about it afterwards. The mass was very similar to what I expected, with much more kneeling than what I thought! Erin told us that when everyone takes communion, we would have the chance to go to the front, as well, but just to be blessed by the priest instead of receiving the sacraments. We decided not to do this; since we don't believe the priest holds any sort of spiritual power, it seemed like that would have been blasphemous (not to be overdramatic). After mass, we went to get McD's for breakfast and talk about any of our questions. Erin is definitely more sure of her religion...she does not seem to be "seeking." She teaches at a Catholic school and was raised Catholic, so she is much more reinforced in her faith. I wouldn't say that Will was seeking outright, but he doesn't seem as invested as Erin is.

We didn't go to mass to change their minds about what they believe; just to keep an open dialogue with them about our faith and the differences. Steve and I really felt a sense of sadness during the service. Their closing song was 'Amazing Grace' and all I could think of was, "But none of you believe this!!!" I completely believe that someone can be a Catholic and also a Christian, but the way Erin describes it is: All Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholics. I definitely disagree with that, so we will keep praying and hope the Lord opens up more doors in the future.

My one funny moment was when we first walked into their parish. There was a small fountain of water that Bella ran toward and I was about to lift her up to let her play in it, when I saw a woman reach over and dip in two fingers and then do the "sign of the cross". It was the holy water! I almost let my child play in holy water! I know that we don't think it's holy, but still! Oh my goodness! I gave Steve this look of horror and he just shook his head at me. (He does that a lot.)

Enjoying her hotcakes at McDonald's.

Don't they look like a little, old couple, splitting their breakfast? So cute!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie, I was just like your friend a true Craddle Catholic I wonder if you have asked her just this simple question..."If you were to die right now do you know for sure you would go to Heaven?" Catholics are never sure of their salvation because almost always they are not saved. If they say well I hope I go to Heaven or I think so, they are obviously not saved. If they say they are and you ask them how they know and you get answers that they take all the sacraments/pray the rosary/have been baptized etc then again you know they are not saved and can tell them that you can show them how to be 100% for sure and they can never loose it and just take them down the Romans Road and the verses of Rev that talk about hell because they never talk about it. To them the worst place you can go to is Purgatory and that is obviously not scriptural. I'm so very glad you did not go up to get the priest blessing. It ALL is very blasphemous as they say they are bringing Christ back in the flesh and killing him again every communion. He did it once and it was finished. They are crucifying him over and over again. I'm sure you probably felt like everyone was wearing a mask and deceived like how you felt during Amazing Grace. It is very sad. I will never step foot again in a Catholic Church it is far too wicked and their Eucharistic Jesus is not the same Jesus we worship and saved us likewise their Mediatrix Virgin Mary is not the true Mary we know from the Bible. She is a pagan God adapted to please the masses.Keep being the light and they will be attracted to you. When I would see the fruits in other believers life I recognized what I had been searching for and longing in my life I could never reach no matter how much I did in church. Godly children, peace, joy, praising God always, trusting God completely this was all fascinating to me when I was deep in idolatry of the Catholic Church. Being that example will be your biggest tool to lead them to salvation along with presenting them the Gospel. Praying for them!