Sunday, August 3, 2014

Back To The Plan

When life gets crazy, the first thing in my life to go is any sort of attempt at healthy eating. The girls and I start snacking on a ton of fast food, I still cook, but it's very carb-heavy and lots of processed foods, and our "healthy" food is basically just strawberries and bananas.
 
With all of our travels and crazy schedules this Summer, our attempts at healthy eating have taken a huge hit. I'm excited about the structure that comes with school starting next week, because I feel like it's a natural time to start fresh and take advantage of new schedules.
 
I've talked with a lot of people about the Whole 30 Plan, and it sounds incredible. But I also know that it's not for us right now. It's very restrictive (and they explain why!), and I just don't think we would stick with it right now.
 
Whenever I read this cookbook, I find it so inspiring. She doesn't just list recipes, every single one has a story or background with it. As the book goes on, you feel like you're on the farm with her - she doesn't focus on using just "real food" (unprocessed, etc.), but she really tries to make most of her food at home (even cheese!). I just fall in love with this book every time I come back to it. Whenever I realize how badly I've fallen off the healthy cooking train, this is the first book I open.
 

I've talked a lot about this book and also, my love for the website 100 Days Of Real Food. I use this website as my guide for cooking; it's my closest step to the Whole 30 Plan without feeling too restricted. The author of the website definitely has a larger grocery budget than we do, and she recommends buying all organic or local (something we're just not able to do right now). What I like about it, though, is all of the options that she provides - it's not like six or seven dinners - she has hundreds of different options and ideas.
 
This is her new cookbook that will definitely be on my Christmas list!


My other favorite thing about this website is the ideas she gives for kids' lunches. This is really an area where I get lazy, and I can easily see the potential for picking Bella up after her half-day kindergarten and running through a drive-thru. I'm excited for the ideas on the website to plan ahead and be prepared for good, healthy lunches that the girls will actually eat!
 
Last night, I worked on a menu for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for next week for all of us! I'm going to try and keep track of what we do, so the girls (and Steve) won't get bored. Let's be honest, as the pregnant woman, I'm definitely the most demanding one when it comes to food and being told what I can/can't eat. Hopefully, with some good inspiration and creative budgeting, we'll be able to be healthier with our eating!


No comments: