Thursday, March 14, 2013

My 30th Birthday

I have been so excited to turn 30, but for obvious reasons, my birthday (which was last Sunday) did not go as planned. The weekend of celebration was going to include a sister date downtown on Friday night, a party with some friends on Saturday, and a double-date dinner with Trey and Whitney on Sunday night. 

After a rough Friday night and Saturday morning, the party was cancelled and we just laid low instead. I got to sit on the couch and read, which is something I never do anymore. It was actually really relaxing. We did presents on Saturday night, which included some fun shopping money, so Mel and I got to go shopping on Sunday afternoon. At first, I honestly didn't want to go shopping, but it ended up being good sister time and a nice distraction.

By Sunday night, we were feeling a little more stable and decided to go ahead with our double-date. In the three years or so that we've been good friends, we've never gone out to a restaurant with Trey and Whitney without the kids! Between six kids, coordinating schedules, and aligning budgets, it's just never worked. The time out with Trey and Whitney was such an incredible blessing and just a fun time! We were able to talk and laugh, and a little Asian woman sang "Happy Birthday" after bringing me a creme brulee with a candle stuck in the middle!

Mel and Steve didn't try to make it something it wasn't; we all agreed that this was a sucky birthday, but we still had fun, spent time together, and smiled. I told Steve he owes me a massive surprise party next year!

No comments: