Saturday, August 4, 2012

Saturday Outing

Mel and her friend, Ashley, wanted to go to the Dekalb Farmer's Market today, so we decided to tag along. This place is crazy! It's subtitle is "A World Market" and that's exactly what it is; every employee has a name tag with their name and the phrase, "Languages I speak: _____________________." It is not what you think of when you imagine strolling through a farmer's market on a Saturday morning. Here is just one shot of the main aisle...


You would need about two hours to get a good idea of everything there! Their bulk items are their best deals and I like their grains. Small tubs of spices are $.36 - $1.25. I bought large containers of flax seed, raw barley, wheat germ, and oats for no more than $2.00 a container. Here are some of my goodies!


I've found lots of healthy recipes that suggest adding wheat germ and flax to them, but it's not something that's very convenient to find at a good price. That's why this store is so great! I also found a bunch of spices that are usually so expensive! I hate paying $5.00 for a jar of rosemary when I only use it about once a month! I'm so excited to start cooking with barley and to add the wheat germ to some smoothies!

After our excitement of the farmer's market, we went to a restaurant called Farm Burger. All of their beef and chicken are grass-fed and their ingredients are from local farmers. We had a very hippie day!


Burgers with cheddar cheese, caramelized onions, Gouda, jalenpeno peppers, and tomatoes. Yum!

No comments: