Monday, March 12, 2012

We Have Our Waterbirth Supplies!

After our incredibly romantic dinner on Friday night, Steve graciously agreed to go to WalMart with me, so that I could get his opinion on birth supplies.

I found a few different websites online with wonderful suggestions; I was also very thankful that the websites recommended very similar items, so we didn't have to worry about which ones were better.

Looking at all of the supplies, it's hard not to feel like we're preparing to give birth in the Wild West. Buying a few garden hoses is definitely not something I ever anticipated when thinking about getting ready for a baby!

We have a plastic pool that is large enough for both Steve and I to fit in, deep enough to cover my belly when I'm on my knees, and it's light-colored so that our midwife has a good view and can make sure there's no excessive bleeding. It also has soft sides, so I can lean against it in those moments when I'm sure I'll be thinking that this baby is trying to kill me.


There's also a tarp to go under the pool and two hoses - one to pump hot water from the sink to the pool, and the other to pump "pool water" from the pool to the extra sink. We still have to buy a pump that will suction water out, but that will be our last item.

We inflated the pool yesterday to make sure it fits in the space we have in our bedroom; luckily, it does! I'm sure we'll move some things around to make room for the ladies that will be there and the supplies we'll have close by. Hopefully, Margaret approves all of our purchases!

No comments: