Friday, May 13, 2011

Me + Martha Stewart = BFF

Okay, so I only dream of being able to keep up with her abilities (minus that whole insider trading and jail experience), but I'm convinced that if given the time and resources (and assistants!), I could be just as "crafty" as Martha.

One of my friends posted an idea on FB of turning a picture frame into a menu board, and I got giddy just looking at it! The original instructions suggested using a blank frame with scrapbooking paper as your background, but I've had a picture sitting in my kitchen that I love, so I decided to use that. I'm running out of wall space in my house, so this picture had been propped up on the counter in my kitchen. Not a very "finished" look, but at least I get to see it.

Using some scrapbooking letters and a frame from Goodwill that I found for $1.50, I created my menu board! And I love it! I think my family could care less what the weekly menu is, but it keeps me sane if i can glance quickly and remember that I have all of my supplies already purchased. I usually keep a list taped to the fridge every week, but this is a much prettier option!

This is my first attempt...the plan was to include Saturday and Sunday, too, but my scrapbooking letters were too large, so I initially left the bottom blank. Looks out of balance, right?

I tried to think of other phrases to put on the bottom. I wanted to add "daddy cooks on weekends" to the bottom to even it out, but once again, my big letters made that difficult. I ended up writing "daddy cooks..."and hoped the "on weekends" would be implied. Of course, daddy doesn't officially cook on weekends, but it's cute anyway, and he IS a huge help around the house, so he deserves some credit!


The menu board in its corner. It's out of the way and adds a fun pizazz to an otherwise "pointless" picture! I hope that my desire to be "crafty" comes from a God-honoring desire to "keep my home". That's how I feel about it, so I'm trusting that God gave me those abilities!

3 comments:

Kaedra said...

I love it propped up on the counter! It's very bistro like :)

The Clark Family said...

So cute and very crafty:)

The Windhams said...

i love this idea, and wish i could be like martha too! alas, i am no where close especially since i haven't cooked in months. my menu would read...Daddy COOKS. lol. I do plan on picking it back up after the baby comes. I do have a couple of crafts up my sleeve for our dining "room" that I will post as soon as i do them. Great job KT!