Monday, May 23, 2011

Journey To A Big Girl Bed

When we made the decision to switch to a big girl bed, we were a little nervous. Our wonderful little girl is not exactly mild-mannered and she doesn't do well with sudden change. I started the project this morning of converting the crib to a daybed. I don't know if it helped to see me working on it all morning, but I just laid her down in the new bed, and I haven't heard a peep! I'm praying that this is one of those transitions to "big girl-ness" that Bella miraculously adjusts quickly to. The big test will be if she stays asleep as long as usual and what happens when she wakes up. Everybody say a little prayer!

Here's our project...



The "before" picture



The destruction: removing the side rail, attempting to raise the mattress height to accommodate the guard rail, stripping the threads off one of the screws...it was a great time!


Bella kind of likes the new, bare look.


My view from the sewing machine. We found a guard rail at a garage sale this past weekend for $2.00, but it was extremely plain, so I sewed a slipcover for it. Mel had some super-soft, pale blue material from another project, and it worked perfectly!



I sewed in Bella's name with some scrap material. You can't see them very well, but I just wanted a little pink and yellow in there to offset the blue.



The completed project (minus the "BELLA" letters; I added those after I took the picture)


Snug as a bug in a rug! It's a Christmas miracle!

No comments: