Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Our Wolf Pack Is Down By Two

So, Trey and Whitney have officially left. I'm still in the very healthy state of denial since it's only been 2 days, but I have a feeling that the more Sundays that go by without Trey teaching, and the more summer afternoons that I don't get to run over to Whitney's are going to make it much more real.
 
Their last night in Marietta was Saturday, and we got to be together, so that was amazing! We did normal stuff - sent Steve out for Taqueria Tsunami, sat on the back porch and laughed, wiped bloody noses when David and Charli both got smacked in the face by a rogue swing, and talked about life.


It's not like we don't have any other friends - our lives aren't desolate; we have the same small group, the same Sunday School class, and lots of friends who are off for the summer and free to come over for playdates now. It's just hard saying goodbye to your best friends.
 
I always describe Trey as this awesome trifecta of seminary knowledge, incredible humility, and a great personality that draws people in! He has been a big brother, a spiritual mentor, and a lot of "normal" when I was going crazy over ministry. I haven't agreed with every single decision, and he'll be the first to tell you how flawed he is, but I've just come to love him as much as I could without being a creepy stalker.
 
And Whit...Whitney is the...realest person I know. Sometimes it makes me laugh at how different we are; I think our few similarities revolve around our mutual love for books and our irreverent views on just about everything else. She takes her children, her husband, and her God very seriously, and you really shouldn't mess with any of them in her presence. She has held my hand when Evelyn was born in our upstairs bedroom and has cried over me when I delivered Lily in the hospital. She has prayed for me, loved my children like her own, and been fiercely loyal. She is my normal when I'm hating the image-hungry stereotypes of East Cobb, and she calls me out when I'm getting a little too image-hungry myself. We have sat on each other's couches and apologized for being so gassy (and also for not trying to hold it in!), we have counseled each other when our husbands were driving us crazy, we have listened to the other talk or vent when they were hurt, and we have seen each other at our very best and very worst of times!
 
The two of them (and each of the awesome little Sapplings) will be missed very dearly - as partners in ministry and as incredible friends. I get to fly out to Idaho in July, which thrills my little soul to no end! I told Whitney we can survive 8 weeks - we've done it before! So now, I'm counting down the days, sending lots of picture texts, and trying to enjoy all of her happy moments with her as their family travels West.


We love you guys!

No comments: