Wednesday, December 11, 2013

World Trade Center Memorial

I finally got to the 9/11 Memorial today. I had stopped by this morning to see about tickets, and I went back after the Brooklyn Bridge to see if I could get in before meeting Steve for lunch. 

The security process is pretty extensive, so after getting a ticket and getting through security this morning, I ended up having to turn around and walk back to meet Steve before ever actually seeing the memorial.

This afternoon, I went back for the third time, got a new ticket, walked back through security, and finally got to spend some time inside the gates! The entire memorial is outside, so it was definitely freezing, but also very quiet and peaceful.


Tickets are free, but they give a suggested donation at the door.


Walking through fenced-in lines to get inside security.


The plaza is open and if you look on the left, you can see the raised rim of the North Pool.


Names of first responders, victims who were working in the towers that day, and every passenger of all three flights are engraved into a ledge surrounding the pool.


The first level is made up of massive amounts of water spilling into what used to be the foundations of the two towers.


I found this sign while I was walking around the plaza...


And then I saw this. This was one of my favorite things at the memorial.


In front of the South Pool.


Inside the memorial shop

It was a solemn experience and everyone was very quiet and respectful. I'm really thankful that I got a chance to walk through and see everything.