Monday, December 9, 2013

Subway Experiences And Solo Excursions

Things we've gotten to see on the subway so far:

• The rats are real! We didn't see any on the train, but they were down in the tracks, looking for food.

• The entire subway platform really does smell like urine. All of the time. Regardless of how nice the area above is.

• Drum circles are LOUD! Especially when being performed on a subway platform that is essentially just a box made of metal, concrete, and marble.

• Drunk people do not respect your personal space. We had a lovely (large) gentleman stand square in front of us (while the rest of the subway was mostly empty), swinging his bag against our knees and asking us if we were getting off at the next stop so that he could have our seats. Luckily, we were.


Our first subway ride to the hotel after eating lunch yesterday.

Okay, so I took my first solo "adventure" today! The wife of Steve's co-worker that we're traveling with (got all of that?) wanted to crash at the hotel and read this morning, so I decided now was a good time to be gutsy and go out alone. I wasn't so much worried about getting mugged as I was making a total fool of myself! 


If I truly wanted to play it cool, I probably shouldn't have stopped to take a selfie, but I had to document the moment! I walked to CVS, got lost about 3 times, had to keep stopping in the middle of the sidewalk and turn around, but I made it!

I probably looked a little crazy as I mumbled to the Google maps app on my phone, but I found the pharmacy and then found my hotel again! Success!

No comments: