Thursday, December 12, 2013

Metropolitan Museum Of Art

Today was my first major "directions/schedule" snafu since getting here. I wanted to go to the Met today, so I woke up early with Steve, got breakfast with the guys and headed off towards the subway. 

It was so cold outside, and it was a really long subway ride, so I was incredibly thankful to finally get to the steps of the museum. I wanted to have as long as possible to walk around and still be able to meet Steve for lunch, so I got there just before 9:00. Are you ready for this? The museum didn't open until 10:00. Seriously! I had to kill an hour in a part of town that I knew nothing about in 13 degree weather! I was so frustrated at myself for not checking on times!
 
I ended up Googling the closest Starbucks, wandering around Park Avenue and Madison Avenue, and seeing some gorgeous townhomes on my quest to get warm!

 
Finally in line to go in the museum! And so cold, I was almost crying!


The front of the museum. I'm not an art or history buff, so I was more interested in just roaming around.

I never got to the VanGogh exhibit or a few other famous items, but here are some of my favorite things that I did get to see...


I thought Bella would love the snake issue going on in this painting. 


I really wanted to take a picture of the nobleman posing next to a horse's derrière, but there was a curator right next to it, and I chickened out.



This reminded me of the girls! You just have to switch their hair color!


I loved the sculpture garden! Light, airy, and filled with beautiful pieces!


In front of an Egyptian sphinx. After awhile, I got tired of taking the same "smiley" selfie in front of random art. 


A cell phone couldn't grasp the expanse of the rooms or the size of some of the pieces. It was beautiful!


For lunch, Steve got a recommendation for the Zeytuna Market. Some of the local guys said it was "just like any other lunch place", but it was very different from our usual lunch dates of Willy's and Chick-fil-A!


Walking down into the market. It was a great international market with all sorts of international cuisines!


Food and "flair"!


Lunch was sushi and miso soup, and I brought a chocolate chip brownie home for dessert!

No comments: