Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Rememering My Grandpa Zinn (Yep, Zinn)

Two weeks ago, we went home for my Grandpa's memorial service. We had a lot of mixed feelings going into the weekend since everything had just happened with the baby and talking about death and hospitals seemed to make me cry every time. On the other hand, it was really good to see our family and spend some time remembering my Grandpa and the man he was.
 
Honestly, I don't have the memories of Grandpa that Mel does. (We're the only grandchildren, plus Rachel.) I don't say that in a "poor me" or bitter kind of way; it's just the truth. Mel has lived down in Florida as an adult, so she's had different experiences with both my Grandma and Grandpa. We first moved when I was 13, and even when we moved back during my college years, I was only home during the summer and ended up working most of the time, so in my mind, I haven't spent significant time in Florida in 17 years. (Wow!)
 
That being said, I do have wonderfully sweet memories of my Grandpa from my childhood. We always called him "JZ", because of his initials, but telling my friends that always made them chuckle because of Jay-Z and Beyoncé. People would look at us and say, "You call your Grandpa, 'JZ'?"
 
He always smelled great. He never smelled like old age or medicine when I hugged him; it was always Old Spice and tobacco. When I was little, he would pick me up and spin me around. We always called it "the airplane" (Genius name, huh?). We used to go over to their house for dinner every single Saturday night. Grandpa got out of playing games by saying he had "paperwork". Seriously, every. single. time...he had paperwork. I don't know what he was doing, but it got him out of talking.
 
He loved boats and fishing. I mean, loved. He would fix up old boats or build them himself. He had the best stories about growing up - becoming a trampoline gymnast as a teenager, a boxer in his twenties, how my grandma would make him peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when they were in college together and then throw them up to his window after curfew.
 
When we went through his house over the weekend, Mel and I were able to take some mementos that reminded us of Grandpa. Some of Mel's choices included an old, brass diver's helmet that always sat on his desk and a Swiss Army knife with Grandpa's name engraved on it. 
 

Grandpa had nautical things everywhere as we were growing up. These three "sailors" now sit on the shelf in my laundry room. 


The man loved his guns and knives, which I think stemmed from having a bit of a conspiracy theorist inside of him. Regardless, I seem to have inherited his love of knives and this is one of my favorites. I also have a few of his antique pocket knives on our mantle and his switch blade in my purse. (To be fair, I've always carried a knife in my purse; now it's just a good one!)

 
Grandpa was famous for splurging on us with what he called his "box money". It's how he paid for lunch on our shopping trips with Mom and Grandma, sent us care packages in college, and even bought our Homecoming dresses one year. (Oh, in that particular experience, when my mom told me that the dress I had chosen was too tight, he said, "Well Sue, if she's got it, she might as well show it off." Seriously. And in a Texan accent. It was awesome!) It was only during this trip to Florida that I learned there was an actual box. I never knew why he called it "box money", but apparently this is where he kept his knick-knacks and cash on his dresser.
 
He was a man who loved God, loved his family, and worked hard. We will miss him.
 
This is his obituary from the newspaper.
 
Zinn, James Edward
Dec. 17, 1933 - Sep. 3, 2013
 
James E. Zinn, 79, of North Port, FL died peacefully on September 3, 2013.
A memorial service will be held at the Fellowship Bible Church of Venice 720 Alligator Rd. Venice on Saturday, September 7th at 4:00 p.m.Jim and his wife JoAnn lived in North Port since the late 60's. He was an avid fisherman and was always known as "JZ" to family and friends. He will be greatly missed. He is survived by his wife JoAnn Zinn of Venice, FL; son, Steve & Meredith Zinn of Bradenton; son, Doug & Lynnette Zinn of Texas; daughter, Sue & John Meyer of Venice. Jim also leaves behind 3 grandchildren, Melissa Meyer, Katie Wires (Meyer), and Rachel Meyer; and 2 great-grandchildren. In lieu of flowers, the family is asking that any contributions in Jim's memory be made to the Tidewell Hospice House of Venice.


No comments: