Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Grief Comes And Goes

We got a call last night from my Dad that my Grandpa had passed away. Grandpa (my mom's dad) has been sick for awhile, with the cancer spreading all through his body. We knew he hadn't been doing well, but in the end, everything happened very quickly. He was only moved into hospice a week ago, and the oncologist said there was nothing more she could do.
 
I wish I could say that my sadness was mostly due to missing my grandfather, but honestly, the talks of death and hospitals just made me remember Lily. Talking with my parents about Grandpa in the hospital and how his breathing was shallow and they didn't know if he could hear them...it just makes my chest feel tighter.
 
I told Steve last night that I didn't want to just lay there and cry for ten minutes, but that didn't work. He let me cry anyway and then turned on Friends re-runs. He's a good man.
 
We're driving down on Friday morning to be there with my parents and my Grandma. I think the memorial service is going to be on Saturday so that my Grandpa's family can be there. I'm not sure how Steve and I are going to do at a funeral, but I'm trying really hard to remind myself that this weekend isn't about me; it's about Grandma and my Mom, and being able to remember the good things about my Grandpa.
 
Pray for us this weekend! Based on our emotions after a few phone calls, I think it's going to be an emotional experience!
 


1 comment:

Kaylie said...

Oh Katie,
I've been meaning to email you. This weekend is going to be tough for you. I'm am praying so hard for extra comfort, grace and strength for you guys to get through it. I'm pretty sure I could not have sat through a memorial service at the point you are at after we lost Meghan. You're right, you need to make it not about you, BUT....everyone will understand if/when it gets tough. Sometimes it's "easiest to forget" when we're serving others. I'm praying that God will bring you some joy and good times in the midst of what is going to be esp. difficult. Losing your grandpa is tough anyway, but it's totally understandable that it brings back memories of Lily (as if you could forget, right?) One of my favorite verses after losing Meghan was Ps. 139:5 I could just picture God holding me in his hand, encircling me and covering me. Praying for that comfort for you this weekend! Love you guys!
Stacey