Friday, February 8, 2013

Sickies - 3

Father/Daughter Date - 0

Steve's had a cough for a couple of weeks now, but with everything going on with jobs and the girls, we hadn't really thought about it. It's seemed to get worse the last few days, so he finally went to a CVS minute-clinic after work yesterday and found out he has bronchitis. The doctor gave him a prescription for amoxicillin  and a cough suppressant, so hopefully, he'll be feeling better soon! More than anything, his body is just exhausted from coughing, and he's still going to work, so we're going to make sure he gets a lot of rest this weekend.

We were planning on Bella and Steve going to a Valentine's father/daughter date at the church tonight and I'm going to a friend's jewelry show on Saturday night, so I arranged  to have a babysitter come over last night for just an hour, so Steve and I could have a surprise, quick date. (The sushi restaurant is right down the road and we are the world's quickest eaters, so we really only needed an hour.)

About 30 minutes before the babysitter showed up, Bella started throwing up all over the living room. Yep. For reals. Ever since I was pregnant and Bella got to see my morning sickness, the girl has an over-dramatic gag reflex, so at first I thought it was just a fluke. The babysitter showed up, and like super responsible parents, we decided to do a quick date anyway. (In hindsight, maybe not the best decision ever.)

We made it through the very end of dinner when the babysitter started calling and said Bella was throwing up again. We got home, begged our apologies to Courtney for leaving her alone with a puking child, and tried to get Bella to drink some liquids. 

Bella was refusing to drink Pedialyte, so I called Whitney. (Whit's our resident expert on sick children, and I'm fairly certain she has witch doctor blood running through her veins, so she's my go-to whenever the girls aren't doing great.) She suggested getting some Coke and saltines; anything Bella was willing to try. I forgot to tell Bella to drink slowly, so she chugged her first glass of Coke and threw it all back up about 10 seconds later. We tried again with small sips and it went much better!

We had Bella sleep in our bed until about 1:00 AM when I couldn't stand getting slapped in the face by a flailing toddler anymore. She woke up again around 4:00 to go to the bathroom, which was really encouraging because we knew she wasn't dehydrated! She's been on a steady diet this morning of Coke, saltine crackers, and popsicles. (She's going to be pretty disappointed when I tell her that her stomach is better and she can't have anymore Coke.)

Evelyn seems to be doing fine other than a crusty, snotty nose. Although now I'm wondering if her throwing up earlier in the week was any sort of bug or really just the pineapples. I'm making sure she gets a lot of sleep and stays inside, so she doesn't get any worse.

Thankfully, even thought the last 16 hours or so haven't been the most fun, we seem to be in recovery-mode now. My living room still smells like puke, but hopefully, I can deep-clean the carpets when the girls go down for naps in the afternoon. Right now I'm just walking around the house and disinfecting everything I can!

No comments: