Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Making Healthier Choices

In a perfect world, I would buy organic fruit, milk, and meat for my family. Heck, in a really perfect world, I would buy organic everything! Since the last time I checked, Aldi doesn't have an organic section, I've been doing my best to find other ways to make healthier food options for us as a family.

To be perfectly honest, I love McDonald's. And Dunkin' Donuts. And Pizza Hut. Ooo! And Chinese take-out! My initial motivation to start cooking more and making things from scratch was simply that I thought it was cool. (I know, kind of pathetic.) I liked all of my mason jars lined up on my shelves with ingredients like oats, flax seed, and  wheat germ. But it was very intimidating to actually use these ingredients in ways my family (cough...Steve...cough) would actually eat. 

I'm a firm believer that if no one thinks it tastes good, it's not a habit that will last, but most of the websites I checked out were all-or-nothing. They made me feel like I was poisoning my family if we didn't eat 100% homemade, from-scratch, organic, farm-raised foods at all times. 

Here are my two favorite resources:
  • Online: 100 Days Of Real Food (www.100daysofrealfood.com). This is going to sound like a weird promo to a very small audience, but I love this website! She eats way more organic and healthy options than I do, but this woman has educated me greatly on how to take baby steps towards healthier eating. If I can only change a few things at a time, I still feel like I'm doing good! Plus, she has a bajillion recipes for kids' lunches, easy breakfasts, all that jazz, and she writes everything in a very laid-back, down-to-earth, and non-judgmental way. I have a serious crush on this website. 

  • Book: The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making. This cookbook fits in the category of "the woman I would like to be" while at the same time, inspiring me to make changes where I can. You have to know your own limits and what you actually want to do, because she includes everything from making your own oatmeal (Score!) to making your own ricotta cheese. (Something I care 0% about.) Oh, and she also lives on a pretty large farm, so I've learned to take things with a grain of salt. So far, I've made my own crackers (I didn't roll them thin enough and they came out like really dry biscuits.), granola, and I'm dying to make my own peanut butter. For me, cost is a huge factor, so I'm looking for things that we eat a lot of that I can make myself for less money, while also being a little healthier in the process. 
 
I still drink coke and buy fries. I still forget to plan ahead and grab donuts for Bella and I on the way to preschool. (You're welcome, Ms. Cheryl!)  But, baby steps! Steve now takes almonds in his lunch instead of Cheetos, and he keeps carrots and hummus (Homemade! What up!) at his desk in case he's starving. I cook dinner 5 nights a week. It may be macaroni and cheese or pizza, but it's homemade and 80% from scratch. 
 
I still really struggle with breakfast options for Bella and I on preschool mornings, especially foods that won't make a mess in the car! (Because, you know, sugar donuts are so clean.) But I've gotten better and better at planning ahead and finding options Bella will actually eat. I also (finally!) learned that if I offer the healthy option multiple times and don't have anything else for her, she'll eventually eat it (about 70% of the time).

So, there you go! It's not perfect, but it's working for us! My goal is to get more comfortable with making things from scratch like peanut butter, salad dressings, and bread. I'd like to be able to do it without feeling like it's such a big process. I think my TV infomercial is done! Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Katie! I know I don't comment but I do read. I just wanted to encourage you that you are on the right track!!! With a lot of effort I have gotten us to about 90% organic (only a little bit more than I was spending on reg food) and making just about everything from scratch and that is with homeschooling and taking care of 4 little ones..can be done! I make all our bread products and it takes no more than 5 min a day- did you know you can make yummy artisan bread in your crockpot too? I was thinking of posting on my blog a list of tips and ideas like one day making it your mix day for a lot of things (think cornbread, pancakes, all purpose, brownies etc)and you can make really yummy oatmeal mix and put them in individual baggies for a quick breakfast or I have an awesome recipe for organic chocolate chip granola bars that I make big bathches of real cheap for on the go momments. I have easy low cost ideas for desserts that keep well during the week too. Aldi's did start this year selling an USDA approved organic line..they don't have everything but cereals, cheese, ceirtain fruits and veggies too that at least keeps me out of whole foods and saves a lot of money! Life Grocery in Marietta is also the place I can get everything else at very low prices in their bulk section. You have some great links there, you will do great. This is one of the most important things you can do for your family that will pay off in many ways. We used to love eating out too but now we very rarely do just because we eat so well at home and you start to realize what a waste of money it is on one meal and how much real food it can buy. Here is my blog link if you want to check it out in a few days I should have it up and maybe you will find a tip or two you like :) *password is KJV1611* http://therodriguezroundup.shutterfly.com/

Karen said...

Oh and by a lot of effort- I only meant mentally ;) That was the hardest part figuring it out and the budget but the day to day is no more work than any other day.

Wires Family said...

Thanks, Karen! I usually drive to the DeKalb Farmer's Market for my bulk items, but I'll definitely try Life Grocery. I've been there before, but it's been awhile. Blessings to you and your four!