Saturday, February 18, 2012

Girls Rule; Boys Drool

Once again, God has proven His wonderful timing (and sense of humor). This week, I found out from a friend of mine that she is having a boy. You will remember my lovely, embarrassing, sobbing meltdown in my doctor's office a few months ago when we discovered we were having a girl. At the time, I wanted a boy sooooooooooo badly!

I'm pretty sure Target's line of boy clothes, alone, had me convinced that boys are simply cooler. Not to mention, two of my friends, Whitney and Janna, have multiple boys, and they are some of the awesomest moms I know. They're just very laid back women. I mean actually laid back; not the "I swear I'm low-maintenance" vibe that I try to pull off while a mini-Martha Stewart is screaming in the back of my head.

All that to say, I'm pretty sure every, single pregnant woman I know is having a boy. I'm serious. I can name six right now. I don't know if they drank special water or what, but Evie is not going to have much female competition in our nursery this summer.

Don't get me wrong; I am now firmly on the "team girl" bandwagon. Our nursery is done, our little human #2 has a name that we love, and we already have a ba-jeezees amount of girl clothes. I also know that God chose a little girl for us. Plus, along the whole line of God's sense of humor, I'm pretty sure He owes me a few girls.

I was the over-dramatic teenage girl who wrote in her diary that parents were unfair and stupid, and cried while listening to Brian Adams' songs. I was convinced that braces would keep me from finding a homecoming date, and when I was 14 (14!!!), I told my mom that I was going to marry the 18 year-old boy that I had a crush on. I was dead-serious, and it's to her amazing credit that my mother didn't laugh out loud in front of me. Kudos, mom, kudos.

Pair that with the fact that I grew up with an older sister who thought much more about which boy she could annihilate in basketball rather than which one was the cutest, and you can see why God is chuckling over the fact that I will be raising (at least) two of these wonderful little bundles of joy who will one day become teenage girls themselves.

I'd like to think that my patient, calm, amazing husband has mellowed me significantly; hopefully that will serve me well over the next eighteen year. And while I have no doubt that God will truly see us through whatever those adolescent and teen years dish out to us, I'm also pretty sure that He and my mother are going to be smiling the whole way.

No comments: