Friday, November 19, 2010

The Price I Pay For Being Stubborn...

Okay, so I'm sure over the course of my life, I've paid worse "prices" for being stubborn, but this one is current...
.

When you have a baby or toddler in your home (in my case, three toddlers), you have to decide just how hardcore you want to be about child-proofing. I've read a lot of articles that suggest accepting your current state and removing anything that has decorative or sentimental value from your home until your child is about 5 years old. This is just not me; I can't remove everything I love from my home, and especially my living room.

As a stay-at-home-mom who has to see the inside of her house all day, I want to take pride in my home and how it's decorated, and I don't want the whole room to be decorated in exersaucers and sippy cups. I want to be able to clean up at the end of the day and have it look like a "normal," adult living room. Maybe this is just asking for a headache, but it's what we've chosen so far.

The risk you run, of course, is when a small human and your decor collide. In this case, Rex (one of the toddlers I watch) decided to use my caroler figurine as drumsticks against the side table. And since I've already put way to much dialogue into this blog, can I just whine for a moment and say that chasing three toddlers around the house, while also trying to keep the room intact, can be EXHAUSTING! There, I whined. Now I'm off to find some super-glue...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl give it up! lol There is a season for everything in life and right now 'tis the season for baby proofing, removing items and kid friendly furniture, baby gates and what not. Trust me it will save your sanity in the long run, and don't worry, you will have your house back when they are all a little older I promise. At least that's my opinion as someone who has so been there. :)

Norma Wires said...

I agree! If you have something that you especially like or has sentimental value - put it up out of their reach. That way you can see it and they can't reach it. someday you'll be able to put things wherever you want and wish some little hands were around to bother it! Time goes too fast. (I remember the little boy i was babysitting for broke the foot off one of my nativity pieces - I think of him everytime I put it out.)

The Clark Family said...

...and then the toddlers turn into children who like to fight with lightsabers and run and put their feet everywhere and things still get broken. Sorry I wasn't too encouraging!! Be thankful for superglue:)

Wires Family said...

I can totally understand that perspective! I think since only one of the toddlers is actually mine, I'm still in the mentality of being able to clean up at the end of the day and have some "me" space back. I'm just not ready to give up all my decor for the next 5 years - I'd rather have the occasional broken caroler. Julie, I'd gladly give up my figurines for a human as cute as Braden!