Thursday, July 26, 2012

Evie's Tree

Evelyn's room has a short, narrow hallway as you walk in, and I haven't known what to put on the walls. I had a design epiphany yesterday (and thankfully, a husband who trusts my epiphanies) and finally decided what to do! Between Target, Wal-Mart, and Goodwill, the entire wall only cost me $40.00! I probably could have done it for about half that if I had any artistic skills of my own, but I had to rely on wall decals. I LOVE the finished product! It's exactly what was my head, but it came out even better than I hoped!


The blank wall...very grey. Because it's so narrow, I can't put up shelves or anything too bulky.


The tree without leaves yet. This is a wall decal that I bought at Target for $20.00. If I had been brave enough, I probably could have painted something similar with paint I had on-hand, but I didn't want to complicate an easy project.


With leaves...


Now I wanted to add small frames with black and white pictures of Evie. I found 10 frames at Goodwill for $12.00, and grabbed a can of spray paint from Wal-Mart.


Adding the final touches! I found a shop on Etsy that had some graphic art designs, and I fell in love! The green quote on the right says, "you make me happy", and the teal picture is a quote from Coldplay's song, Yellow. It says, "look at the stars; look how they shine for you". Not only is it a cute quote for a baby, but Steve and I danced to this song on our honeymoon, so it has good memories for us. I love the pop of color that the prints add! 


The orange print on the bottom is a version of I Samuel 1:27, "I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me my request." The purple frame on the top is a quote from Elizabeth Edwards that just struck me as a beautiful, I-want-to-raise-strong-girls kind of a quote..."She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her away, she adjusted her sails." I am so incredibly thrilled with how it turned out, and that I was able to get it done in an afternoon!


And one last piece! Mel bought Bella and Evie adorable prints with the alphabet and their names on it. One of my Goodwill frames fit perfectly, so it's now hanging by Evie's window. Thanks, Auntie Mel!


A close-up view. Evie's "E" is pink, and Bella has one just like it where the "B" is yellow. Bella's response was, "Oh, wow! I lub (love) it!"


This is how Evelyn passed the time. She looks like she's doing crunches, because she always wants to be sitting up!


1 comment: