Thursday, July 19, 2012

Adventures With Kumquat And Squirt

A couple of new Bella-inspired giggles (she's the kumquat; Evelyn's the squirt)...

Bella's new word is "prob'ly", so our conversations sound like this:

Me: Bella, would you like some more juice?
Bella: Hmm. Prob'ly. Yes.  

She's very matter-of-fact about it and sounds very adult.

Every night at bedtime, Steve asks Bella which song she would like to sing. Last night, Bella answered, "Daddy, let's just talk." When he asked her what they should talk about, she said, "Rex. And Rex's herthday." (birthday) They discussed all of his possible presents, and then moved on to Mama, Daddy, and Evie. I had a great time listening in!

Bella learned the word "mother" from Tangled and has figured out that it's another word for Mama. (I was kind of hoping she would just think it was the woman's name, but oh well.) She can't pronounce the "th" very well, so it comes out as "Mudder"; she sounds like a little street orphan from an old movie.

Bella: Mudder?
Me: Yes, Bella?
Bella: Mudder, are we going to the red store?

I now officially have four different names from Bella...Mama is the one she uses the most; it's her everyday name for me...Mom is the quick one; she'll yell out "Hi Mom!" as she's chasing Steve or Mel around the house. Sometimes "Mom" is her teenage word and she'll say, "Oh, Moooo-ooom" when she's being overdramatic about something...Mommy is usually busted out when she's turning on the high-power manipulative skills. It comes out very high and very soft; she also tends to be stroking my hand while doing it, it's kind of creepy...Mudder is her newest addition. It's only every once in awhile and seems to be judging our reaction to it.


Evelyn is so talkative! Last night was her first night in her crib. We both survived the entire night, but it was rough starting out. She ate around 7:30 and I put her right down. She was asleep without a sound until 10:00 when I went in to feed her one last time before bed. She was passed out without a care in the world until Steve and I went to bed at 11:00.

How do babies/kids always seem to know when you want to sleep? Evie suddenly became very fidgety, and I was up with her three more times between 11:00 and midnight. I finally nursed her again at midnight just to see if that would settle her, and it seemed to work - she slept fine until 3:30. Not too bad!

It would have been a lot better if she had started that sleep process at 10:00, but I think she was still getting used the new crib. I nursed her at 6:30 and she went back to sleep until she woke up cooing at 8:30! Those are the sounds I love to hear over the monitor!


Foreshadowing of many sister moments to come, I'm sure! I loved sharing bedtime with my sister, and I'm sure they'll love it, too!

No comments: