Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bella's Birth Story

I wasn't very consistent with this blog around the time that Bella was born, so I never posted any pictures of her birth or us at the hospital. I know when Bella and Evie read the story of Evie's birth and all of the preparations we've done, Bella will want to see the pictures of her birth, too. Since April is her birthday month, I thought it would be a good time to remember some details of how our first little human came into the world.

I went into labor on my due date. I had experienced some light contractions early in the morning, so we checked in with my OBGYN, but she sent us home and told us to walk around. Friends of ours were bringing us a pizza for dinner, and by the time they got to our house, we told them to just follow us to the hospital. Contractions had definitely gotten closer together and strong enough that I was gripping the car door handle.

Steve and I didn't have family there, so our friends were amazing at standing in the gap with us. On our way to the hospital, we called my sister, Mel, and she got in the car to drive up from Florida. We also had about 8 friends in the room with us! We had such a fun time! Looking back, it was so stupid that I didn't sleep after getting the epidural, but since we had so many people there with us, it was a good distraction from the waiting...

Bella was born at 8:46 AM the next morning. There was a lot of pushing and a rotation of three different doctors, but she finally made it! We had no complications and she came out perfectly healthy with a full set of lungs!

That epidural was a beautiful thing...our motivation for having Evie at home has nothing to do with our experience at the hospital. We loved it! Everyone took such good care of us! I remember the room service and the labor nurse, because her name was Katie.

My first words when I saw her were, "She's purple! She's beautiful, but she's purple!"

Our first few moments as a family...it was the best feeling in the world!

Finally in our own room and enjoying the quiet...we have Bella's little hat hanging in Evie's nursery.

Relaxing with Mama in bed. We spent a lot of time resting and practicing our nursing.

Special snuggling time with Daddy. He was so taken by her! And she looked just like him! It was incredible!

Our last morning in the hospital...we were ready to have her home and on our own turf.

All bundled up and ready to go home. I felt like I was in a grocery cart!

Best picture ever. Bella is wrapped in a blanket made by her Great-Grandma Ferguson.

No comments: