Thursday, June 30, 2011

SonSurf Beach Bash 2011

VBS is over...the last day is always a little bittersweet for me. It is tiring to pack up three kids, haul them into VBS, teach 5 different lessons each day, and pack the three kids up again for lunch and naps at home. But the week always reminds me what I loved about teaching and how much I enjoy talking to kids of all ages about Jesus and being witnesses in their "Jerusalem."

We started the week by teaching Acts 1:8 and focused on the significance of Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and all the world. It was a little difficult explaining to 1st graders that Jerusalem for them was actually Marietta, but we worked and reviewed all week long and I think they got it! Today, our lesson was on sharing the gospel in easy ways and we used a tool called the Evangecube. It's basically like a wordless book, but with pictures (you can find it online). Not only did this help kids know some easy ways to talk about Jesus, but it gave Whitney and I a chance in every class to share the gospel with those kids right in front of us. In our last class of the day, a 2nd grade boy interrupted me after I talked about Jesus rising again, and said that he didn't really know if he had Jesus in his heart. I couldn't help but look at Whitney and grin! I told the little boy that he was about to go back to his classroom and that his teacher would explain how he could know for sure that Jesus was in his heart this afternoon.

I wouldn't be able to do any of this if there wasn't childcare for the workers, and I am so thankful for Bella's teachers this week! They sent home a beach bucket this afternoon filled with the crafts she had done this week and they really put extra effort into doing things with them!

There was an "ocean" theme this week, so Bella and Rex got their pictures taken in an inner tube.

A thumbprint picture making fish and jellyfish.

Sleepy, but happy. Enjoying some nuggets after VBS and naptime.

1 comment:

The Windhams said...

i love this post for many reasons. i miss teaching too, and i felt the same way last year when i was just a room leader.

also i LOVE bella's face as she is posing in the inner tube. priceless! miss you!