Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mackinac Island

For those of you (including me) who aren't from Michigan, for some reason Mackinac Island is pronounced "Macki-NAW." Don't ask me why; I don't know either. BUT...the island itself was beautiful. We took a ferry ride to the island and then rode bicycles 8 miles around the whole island. I was a little worried that I would be dying, but it was a total blast!

This picture is so pitiful, but I had to include it. The kids wanted to ride on the top level which was all open-air. It was so windy! Once we started moving, it was crazy!

Hiding from the wind!

Finally getting into the action!

Cars weren't allowed on the island, so bikes and horses were everywhere! Bella loved it! She kept saying, "rees! rees!" (Her word for "horses.")

Getting ready to start our bike ride. I kept thinking how much my mom and dad would have loved this trip! They would have loved biking around the island.
Bella and Kinslee fitting into the bike-kart. Bella lost it a couple of times, but Matt and Julie switched out with us, and finished the trip by taking Bella and Kinslee the rest of the way. They sang and talked and all was right with the world again!

Taking a break at the halfway point. Enjoyed fries and a coke at the little snack shop.


Bella and Kinslee "skipping rocks" on the water.

Visiting the gardens at the Grand Hotel. It was the sight of an old Christopher Reeves movie, Somewhere In Time.

After the walk to the hotel, Steve's hip needed a break, so we stayed in town and everyone else walked to the old fort on the island. Bella liked the huge fireplaces.


Sticking her head out from one of the figurines.

A wonderful, full day! Waiting for the ferry with Grandpa.

1 comment:

The Windhams said...

this place seems so sweet and charming. i would love to visit there. o and I live your new background. I almost picked that one too. The picture is awesome too. It needs to go on your wall on the staircase.