Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Bella's First Visit To Urgent Care

I should have known I was tempting fate when I was talking to my girlfriend last week and telling her that Bella had never been to urgent care. Bella has never had worse than a bad cold, and we consider ourselves very lucky to have never had to deal with pneumonia, ear infections, or anything else. On Monday, after her nap, Bella was stepping down the stairs and took two steps when she thought she was only taking one (make sense?). She ended up twisting her ankle underneath her and couldn't put weight on it afterwards. We decided to take her into urgent care when it started swelling slightly.
.
I called a girlfriend with 4 children who have basically set up shop at urgent care for a recommendation on a good facility. Rex's daddy wasn't able to come right away due to his work schedule, so Steve stayed home and I took Bella in by myself. I have to say, the urgent care people were just wonderful! They were better with kids than Bella's pediatrician! From the way they talked to her to the way they touched her leg; it was clear they were used to dealing with kids! Bella, on the other hand, was not quite as pleased. She wasn't in any serious pain, but still couldn't put weight on the ankle, so I had to hold her on my lap in a waiting room that was designed to keep kids busy - it was torture!

They took x-rays of her leg from her hip to her foot, and everything looked good! The doctor said it was probably just a sprain and to let her go easy on it for the next couple of days (not an easy task for an independent toddler who doesn't like to be restricted). I'll save you the explanation of the actual event of taking the x-rays. Let's just say, there was a part of me that actually wished the ankle HAD been broken, just so I knew we were suffering through this for a good reason!


I'm glad we took her in, and we're SO THANKFUL that it was nothing serious. She is walking on it pretty well, but has a little limp that is just so pitiful! She definitely favors that leg and walks close to the furniture so that she can hold on. What a little trooper! Thank you, Children's Healthcare!

No comments: