Sunday, April 27, 2014

Closing Day!

We officially only own one house! (Everyone breathe a big sigh of relief...)
 
On Friday, we signed our closing papers and it was such a tremendous load off of our shoulders. If I say it was "hard" for me; it was that, plus about a thousand, for Steve. This entire process was brutal. I'm sure I wouldn't like anyone that didn't walk up and offer us $10,000 over our asking price, but having never sold a house before, these buyers seemed very difficult and inexperienced.
 
During all of the times that we ourselves were inexperienced and wanted to freak out, we relied heavily on our realtor to bring us back from the brink and talk some sanity into us. These people just weren't like that. Friday's closing was just icing on the cake. The buyers showed up to the lawyer's office twenty minutes late. Twenty minutes! And their realtor showed up about 45 minutes late. Who does that?!? They were just far from the picture of professionalism. The girlfriend's only explanation was that this was the first time that she was leaving her 7-month old with a babysitter and it was emotional to leave. I just had to stay quiet because I was twitching.
 
On the "feel good" side, Steve and I took time to stop by the house one last time to check on everything, and got to walk through the rooms to kind of say goodbye. This was the first time I felt emotional about leaving the house we brought two babies home in. (And had two other babies go to Heaven in.) Since Evelyn was literally born in the middle of the Master bedroom, I'm glad we got a quiet moment to look around and remember. There were so many quirks about that house that we hated, but we had some incredible memories there, as well!
 
Now that we are on this side of the entire process, we are really looking forward to moving on. Steve is our money guy in the family, and I've been really proud of how well he has handled everything and how patient he's been, knowing that we would still have some debt walking out of all of this. We've been holding on to every bit of cash, just in case we had to do any major projects at the last minute to get the house sold, and I know he's so excited to be able to pay a big amount to the credit card! We still have some budgeting to work out, and we'll still have some debt to pay down, but we are so thankful that the house sold before we had to pay two mortgages.
 
I also told Steve that I'm never moving again!


No comments: