Monday, April 14, 2014

Adventures In Babysitting

Last week, the girls and I flew down to Florida to watch Rachel while my parents flew to Germany for a missions trip. They're going to be gone for about two weeks, so babysitting duties were divided up between about 4 different people. We had the first shift, so we flew down and got to spend a day with mom and dad before they flew out. We had a little birthday celebration for the girls since this will be the first year that my mom isn't able to come up for their birthdays.
 
As far as babysitting goes, frankly, I'm surprised I didn't cry. The girls both got colds on our second day there, and I had to call a neighbor to go and get medicine for us when Evelyn got a low fever. Rachel did great! If you don't know, Rachel is 23, but mentally, about 2. Mel and I joke that she's a little old lady, because her schedule is very slow and doesn't vary much. When you throw two, extremely loud children into the mix, I was a little worried that we were just going to overwhelm her! She handled it really well, though, and only cried once. One of her regular caretakers, Dorothy, came at night to sleep over since I always have visions of being murdered.
 
It was a crazy week, so I don't have many pictures, but here are a couple that I took of the girls throughout the week...


The hardest part of the week was that the girls didn't sleep well at all. Evelyn was up about every hour and Bella was coughing all through the night. We were all sleeping in the same room, so it was really draining. One morning, Evelyn fell asleep on the couch because she had been up since 5:00.
 

Part of their birthday presents were new Easter dresses from Papa and Mimi. Look how cute they look in their eyelet lace! And yes, this pretty much sums up their personalities perfectly.
 

We were in the house most of the week, but one afternoon, a lady from church came to sit with Rachel for a couple of hours so I could take the girls to lunch.
 

She was really excited about her Coke, so this was the only picture I got!

I have never been more excited to be home! I wish I could vow to never leave again, but we all know that's just not practical! Oh well, I'm enjoying being home while it lasts!

No comments: