Monday, April 14, 2014

Bella's "Frozen" Birthday!

Bella asked for a "Frozen party with horses" this year, but I made the executive decision to just go with Frozen. Little did I know that throwing a party in April with a Frozen theme was going to be practically impossible since everything was sold out in December! I had a couple of teenage sales clerks at Party City look at me like I was a total moron when I asked where their Frozen stuff was.
 
I found a lot of cute ideas on Pinterest, but decided we were going small and easy this year. As the time got closer, "easy" was definitely my motto - I found cute printables online, but on the morning of the party, realized our printer wasn't working, so I decided "Eh. It'll be fine." I told Whitney she would have been very proud of me! I am a girl who loves a themed party and I love it when we get to invite everyone we know to celebrate with us! Because of being so tired this year (more on that later), I just realized it wasn't going to happen. We invited 4 or 5 friends from church that Bella sees the most, planned one game, and ate cake. It was perfect! Bella had a blast, I wasn't stressed, and the kids had fun! Done and done!

First, we have to discuss the cake. I know I could order a cake and be done with it, but for some reason, in my mind, I love the cake being a mom/labor of love thing. I am not a baker, and I frequently run into humorous errors (wait for it), but I still love doing it.



Here was my inspiration for Bella's cake this year. She included a recipe for how to make those blue ice mountains out of melted sugar that you let freeze and harden, and then break it into shards. It wasn't too labor intensive, so I tried it. It worked really well, and I loved how the blue "mountains" looked with the white cake!
 

Apparently, the fridge was not cold enough to keep the mountains frozen, and about ten minutes later, they looked like this. My beautiful blue ice caps had completely melted down the back of the cake into a big glob. My attempts at baking always seem to include one, big "disaster".
 

So, I peeled off the blue, sticky glob, which also peeled off all of the icing from the back of the cake. At least this was an easy fix - off to the store for more cream cheese frosting, and we were back in business! Thankfully, most people believe that you can never have too much cream cheese frosting, so it all worked out fine!
 

I still wanted mountains of some sort, so we kept it simple and cut little mountains out of blue plates. Not nearly as glamorous, but they worked.
 

Here's the entire cake. I had to order the figurines online since everything was sold out in stores, but they weren't expensive at all, and totally worth it!
 

Our Frozen table...we had baby carrots for Olaf's nose and pretzel sticks for Sven's antler's. I added strawberries, because Bella loves strawberries. Our only specific "Frozen" items were the plates (from Amazon) and the figurines on the cake. We also had a few balloons and streamers, but they didn't up great in the pictures. Aren't you proud of me? Very low-key!
 

The girls in their cuteness before the guests arrived.
 

Okay, this was my moment of pride...looking online for Frozen items, I found a game that had a ton of great reviews! It was a whole pack of fake snowballs. At first, I was like, there's no way I'm spending money on that, but we just happened to have an Amazon gift card, and the great reviews made it really tempting. It was so much fun! They were freakishly realistic and the kids loved having a snowball fight in April! They were soft, so even the adults could be involved without worrying about hurting anyone. Seriously, the best game ever!
 

The birthday girl, running from snowballs! She loved having all of her friends there!
 

Getting ready to blow out her candles. I can't even believe she's about to be 5!
 

Opening presents! She got so many fun gifts - lots of art supplies and My Little Pony goodies! (My favorite was the My Little Pony backpack...adults can have favorites, right?) Jen (Rex's mama) told me that Rex wanted to get Bella a pet fish and then changed it to a pet cat. Luckily, she talked him out of it. We established that I owe her for the rest of her life!


Evelyn had already gone down for nap, but here we are with the birthday girl! She had so much fun and loved spending time with her friends!

No comments: