Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Man Needs To Come Home

Steve's traveling this week. And I'm really missing him. This is the first time in a awhile that he's been gone for the full two weeks. Monday night, Mel came and ate dinner with us and spent the night. It was great to have her, but bedtime ended up being a little bit of a chuckle. I was just reminded over and over how God pairs us with a person who matches us. They're not perfect, but they "fit" us, does that make sense?
 
Steve and I have a bedtime routine. It's not carved in stone or anything, but I think all couples tend to fall into a pattern of how they go to bed. Steve and I may watch some TV or play a game; then when it's time to go to bed, we turn the sound machine on and lay facing each other for a little bit, talking. At some point, one of says we need to "roll", and we both end up rolling over and falling asleep. (We are not a "fall-asleep-cuddling-and-draped-in-each-other's-arms kind of couple.)
 
Let's just say that Monday night did not look like that for Mel and I. First of all, Mel's a night owl. And I tend to be exhausted by 7:30. I was really proud of myself, because I stayed up till 10:00 with her to watch a movie. But when the movie was over, I was done. She got twitchy just thinking of going to bed that early, so in an effort to prove how laid-back and flexible I was (Why do I even attempt this?), I told her to feel free to do some work in bed if she couldn't fall asleep. Guys, she worked on email until 11:30. Some of you may be fellow night owls, but most of you with small children will know that 11:30 is a death sentence. Small children wake up before 7:00. It was bad. Tuesday morning was not a good day.
 
Which brings us to Tuesday night...I thought that maybe having someone sleep with me who I wasn't used to was not the best idea, so I would try and tough it on my own. The problem is that I have an extremely overactive imagination, so anytime I've attempted to sleep in the house without Steve, I usually end up imagining someone walking down the hall to slowly slaughter us. And that pleasant thought tends to keep me awake until 2:00. Our house is a little smaller now, and all on one level, so I decided to try it. Right around the girls' bedtime, I had a moment of weakness and agreed to let the girls sleep in bed with me a for a little bit. And the hilarity ensued..
 
We watched a Tinker Bell movie until a little before 8:00, and Bella was completely passed out by 8:00 sharp. At 9:00, I was still lightly spanking Evelyn to get her to stop standing up to look out the window. Have you ever seen Ice Age? There's the scene where Sid the sloth tries to fall asleep on a rock and it takes him a full two minutes as he grunts and groans and repositions. Manny the mastodon finally yells at him until he lays still and falls asleep. Sleeping with Evelyn was just. like. that. Except it took an hour of her grunting, smacking me, and repositioning until she laid still. And she never really laid still. And when I yelled her name, she just tried to kiss me for an awkwardly long time before giggling and standing up again. Oh! And she grinds her teeth! It seriously sounded like she was chewing ice ALL NIGHT LONG! At 2:00 AM, I finally stuck my finger in her mouth to try and get her to stop. She was not pleased and it did not stop her from grinding more.
 
Which brings me back to how much I miss Steve. It's just been lonely around here. The house seems quiet without him, and I don't have anyone to talk to at the end of the day when I seem to need it the most. It's only been three days, but we are ready to have him home!
 


No comments: