Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Our House Has A Yellow Door

I have wanted to paint our front door yellow for about a year now! I asked for paint supplies for Christmas, and my parents gave me a Home Depot gift card to use toward the door! Hooray!

This weekend seemed like a good time to tackle the project since the weather was going to be gorgeous and we had no big plans.


The "before"...We really didn't mind the black door (it's nice and classic), but the lights and hardware were our least favorite part. We don't love love the old brass color that seems to be everywhere in this house, but we didn't want to buy new sets, so my AMAZING husband suggested painting them. (I must be wearing off on him!)  


This was the point where I started to freak out and begged calmly asked Steve to reassure me that it was all going to be okay. I know any paint job takes multiple coats, but it's hard to remember that when your door looks like this!


One coat down and SWEET. BABY. MOSES. Luckily, my AMAZING husband (Are you sensing a theme? My man comes to the rescue a lot in the middle of my projects.) suggested we buy a few cans of yellow spray paint and do a base coat. Such a great idea! The base coat did a fantastic job of evening out the surface before painting two more coats of our actual color.


Our living room in the aftermath. We laid down a tarp and set the door up on bricks so that I could paint the edges.


Ta! Da! Doesn't it look amazing!?!

We painted all of the door's hardware black and painted the lights black, too. I saw the idea for the numbers online, and found ones I liked at Home Depot. A new door mat finished it off!

My "one day" additions will be a wreath and some sort of plant on either side of the door. Steve is totally my partner on these projects! Even if he's not standing right next to me, I can go find him and ask, "Okay, let me just talk this out for a sec..."

Next up in my dreams is our bedroom...

2 comments:

The Clark Family said...

I'm jealous of your sunny, gorgeous day:) And I can't wait to see your bedroom redo!

joanna said...

I love it! Can I ask what the name of the yellow color is?