Monday, January 28, 2013

Not My Best Day

 Today is definitely a "survival" day as a mom. The girls are both draining crazy amounts of snot. They are needy and whiny and demanding attention constantly. I'm very thankful that it's not any worse and no one has the flu, but I didn't sleep very well last night, so I'm tired and cranky and impatient.

I just finished spanking Bella for something that wasn't really spank-worthy, so I felt really bad and tried to hug/hold her, but she pushed me away and said I wasn't allowed to touch her because I wasn't her boss. 

Take a deep breath and say a prayer...

Bella won't stop asking questions, and if she's said "Mama, look!" once, she's said it fifty times. Okay, maybe forty times, but it was all in a 30-minute period, so it seemed like a hundred! The eldest little human also has super-fun mood swings when she's sick, so one minute she's being defiant, then she wants to sit in your lap, then she's crying because you said she couldn't have cake, and finally, she's begging for you to play with her in the playroom.

Every seasoned mother would tell me that some days are just like this and I have to remember that it will pass, but that's really hard to think about when you're smack dab in the middle of it and you just need to whine. So this was my whine...

My friend, Emily, is really good at remembering to be thankful for all of the little moments, and as I'm writing this, I'm thinking of her and what she would say. I know she has her rough days, too, but I feel like she would be thinking of the Connecticut shooting and thanking God that her babies are safe in her house and in her arms. 

That doesn't mean it's always easy, and it doesn't change the fact that sometimes it feels really good to be brutally honest and cranky, but I am thankful for the little things like being able to stay at home when my children feel awful. 

However, if anyone just really feels like babysitting two sick kids all day tomorrow, you know who to call!

No comments: