Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Michigan And The Arab Festival

So much to share in such a small space! This last weekend, Evie and I spent 4 days in Michigan on a short-term mission trip. Our goal was to do "mingling evangelism." Rather than share the gospel through formal steps or a tract, we were at the Arab International Festival in Dearborn, Michigan to talk to people and improve relationships between Muslims and Christians. It was difficult at times not to feel ineffective, but I know we were being obedient to what God called us to do!


At the Detroit airport, waiting for Trey to pick us up. Evie was a champ on the plane! We had some funny baby mishaps, but all in all, she was fantastic!


This one is for Steve! You've got to love "How I Met Your Mother" to really appreciate Tim Horton's and the Great White North!


This was one of the guys that came to our booth. He was very friendly and we had some good conversations. I had to get a picture of him with his Syrian flag as a cape!


Two things about this picture: #1: God truly answered my prayers in regards to Evie! She was a magnet for people! Just the fact that she was so little (and the way I was carrying her in the wrap) drew people in. It was so cool to experience a common bond with the Arab women. The little girls loved her, too - these two came to our table every single day to touch her head and peek at her!

And #2: There was such a discrepancy between the men and the women...90% of the women were covered in some way - from just a head covering and street clothes to a full tunic and only slits for their eyes. The young men, though, looked very stereotypical European; they had tight, "loud" t-shirts on, slicked back hair and large sunglasses. They were loud, friendly, and seemed very confident. The women seemed quiet, but warmed easily when you made eye contact and talked to their children.


 I was nervous about 4 nights without Steve, but we made it! I kept Evie in bed with me every night so I could have human contact. I know she won't  remember it, but it was a really special time with Evie. I wore her in the wrap almost constantly and she went with me everywhere. I was tired at the end of the day, but I loved it! 


Whitney and I at our booth...I was so thankful to have Trey, Whitney, and the kids there! I learned so much from them and their experience with Muslims, and I enjoyed having other kids around. David gave me my "Bella fix" each day. 


Sunday was the hottest day! I finally stripped Evie down and carried her around in just a diaper. It was just so muggy, but she was still a trooper. Maybe the heat made her lethargic!


On our last night, Nashaat took Trey, Justin, and I to his favorite local restaurant, Hamido. We had lamb, pita bread with hummus, and a bunch of other fun stuff. I tend to have a very wimpy palate, but here is proof that I ate grape leaves! I only ate two bites, but still! Luckily, I could eat my body weight in pita bread and hummus! We didn't leave the restaurant till after ten; I was thankful that Trey and the other missionary took turns with Evie during dinner.

Okay, some memories that I don't have pictures for...

  • Getting to talk to three different families with special needs kids. It is considered a shame in the Arab culture to have a handicapped child, but these kids seemed very loved, and I got to share about Rachel. I got to meet a little girl with Downs Syndrome and another girl that reminded me exactly of Rachel!
  • Having an Arab man call me "ugly" because he was lumping us in with the other "Christians" there. Each day, there were protesters with signs and megaphones, but on Sunday, they brought a pig's head on a stick. It was so sad and so offensive, and many of the Arab people lumped us all in together.
  • Having Whitney text me each morning to tell me that Trey had come back to the hotel with donuts from Donutville. I'm telling you...I don't even really like donuts, but these were amazing!
  • Learning I was bolder than I thought...and more of a coward than I thought.  I loved interacting with the Arab women; it was the most amazing experience. To have that common bond of being a woman and being a mother...it was an instant open door. I still wish I had been more open about instances where I could have shared the name of Jesus, but I learned a lot and I'm ready to go back next year!
  • My baby "disasters"!!! On the flight to Detroit, Evie slept almost the entire time...right up until we were about 5 minutes from landing. The sweet woman next to me offered to hold her while I got all of my things together, and as I lifted Evie out of her wrap to hand her over, I realized that she had pooped everywhere! The wrap was covered (and yes, I continued to use it all weekend), it was all up Evie's back, on my pant leg, ugh! The woman was incredible! Not only did she hold wet wipes and diapers for me, but she didn't bat an eye as I was peeling Evie's poop-soaked onesie off.
  • At the restaurant with Nashaat, I had to nurse Evie, but there were only men around and I had nowhere to go. I decided to use the bathroom and sat on the only toilet (which was clogged) for ten minutes so that I could feed her. So classy!
  • Waiting at the airport to go back to Georgia, I found a private, quiet spot to nurse Evie. As I balanced her in my lap to rehook my bra under the nursing cover, I suddenly felt very warm and very wet. I picked her up and her pee was literally pooling in my lap! I stood up and my dress was soaked in front and back! God totally came to the rescue, and I spotted a family bathroom right across the hall - it was big and private, so I could just lock the door and take my time cleaning up. 

It was an incredible weekend with so many lessons! I felt like we sowed seeds of the gospel and formed some relationships that can be continued. God's hand was definitely present and we were thankful!  



1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

Love your comment about how you learned you were bolder than you thought AND more of a coward than you thought. Good way to explain that...I feel that way every time I talk about Jesus. Also, those are rough baby mishaps when you're alone. Hats off to you my friend!