Monday, May 21, 2012

When They Become Mothers...

Most moms will agree that God gives us a special blessing - the ability to forget. We forget about the screaming, the sleepless nights, the defiant toddlers, and all of the hundreds of daily "battles" that we fight as moms. But there are a few things I really want to remember: so I can tell my girls that I've been there, so I can remember to keep my sense of humor, and so I can "ponder" the special moments.

First of all, nursing is hard. It's worth it, but it's hard. It's an incredible joy and the most exhausting thing, all at the same time. I never knew my body could exist (semi-successfully!) on such little sleep, and then there's all of the uncertainty - is she eating enough? is this normal? will she ever be on a schedule? will it always be like this? I would almost say that nursing is more mentally exhausting than physically. On the other hand, my favorite moment of motherhood has been looking down and seeing Evie tucked against me in bed. It has made me feel like a mother more than anything else in the last month...even a natural birth!

Potty training sucks. Bella darling, wait until you are old enough to understand the stories! Your Daddy and I are going to have your kids laughing hysterically when we tell them about all of the drama and stress you have caused in the journey to poop on the potty. We will tell them about "yuckies", princess pull-ups, using Sweet Tarts as special treats, and the wonderful moment when you pooped in your big girl underwear at church and all I could do was sit there and tell you how proud I was that you went on your own. Just wait, little girl.

I was worried that being so absorbed in the newborn stage would make me treat Bella differently. I've been happy that having Evie seems to make me enjoy Bella even more...it's like having the best of both worlds - we get to soak in the wonders of this new little person in our lives and also marvel at the fact new thing that Bella will say or do that day. I'll be the first one to admit that not every moment's a picnic, but in the big picture, we know we're blessed beyond measure!

And then there's the poop. Between Bella's screaming refusal to poop anywhere, the countless newborn diapers we've been changing, and my own physical..."ailments" left over from labor and birth, we are a poop-obsessed family lately. I don't see it ending anytime soon. One day, I will be able to sympathize with my girls when they have their own poop trials!

No comments: