Thursday, January 19, 2012

Midwife Visit And Baby Update

I really want to do some venting about how destructive and disobedient my child has been this week, but that would take up multiple paragraphs, so I'll just fill you in on my check-up with Margaret...

We always start out with some catching up on life; how am I eating, am I remembering to go walking, etc. It's a new experience for me, because I'm not used to having my doctors that involved in my life, but I'm trying very hard to adapt and even appreciate the involvement!

The baby has her head down by my pelvis now, so that's a perfect position! I was even able to rub my hand on my tummy and clearly feel the back of her head. It was really cool! I'm hoping she'll cooperate when Steve is home tonight.

I've been needing to find an OBGYN where I can go to have some final tests. I've been putting it off because many doctors are not open about working with a midwife and are very opposed to homebirths. I asked Margaret about it today and she gave me a woman's name who was an OBGYN associated with our closest hospital.

That is a double praise! Along with being an OBGYN, she's also a certified nurse-midwife, so she's very supportive of our decision. But she's also in a practice that is partnered with our local hospital, so if we have an emergency, we will just need to call her instead of dealing with the ER.

I will probably end up switching to her as a permanent patient since my current OBGYN is all the way downtown. I will be making an appointment soon to get my strep-B test done at her office, and insurance will cover it since I'm switching to her. Praise God!

We have a slight "change" for the baby's name...when we thought of using Evie as a nickname, we originally pronounced it with a long "e". We've talked about it the last couple of days, and I think we like it pronounced as a short "e" instead...the same way it is pronounced in her full name, Evelyn. Just a little change, but we get closer and closer to finding our match!

1 comment:

Norma Wires said...

Glad everything is going well with you, the baby and the midwife plans! Sounds like its all coming together well. On your previous post, do you know that if Bella has "bubbles in her bottom" while in the bathtub, that's called a "Hillbilly Bubblebath"! We have lots of WV people around here so we here all those type of things.