Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Evie's Nursery; Part 1

We have a sick little toddler in our house, which we just discovered has developed into an ear infection, so this past weekend included a lot more "home time" than we were expecting. We used the time wisely, though, and decided to tackle the nursery. It was a miserable experience. Absolutely miserable.

Normally, I'm the one who is all gung-ho for jumping into a new project, but I spent most of Saturday trying to console Bella who had a fever and a constant cough and was just all around clingy and miserable. That left Steve to fake being gung-ho about removing a wallpaper border. People, it took us 5 hours to just remove a border. FIVE hours. For JUST a border. In the smallest room in our house. Did I mention how much fun we had?

After the awesome border removal came 3 coats of primer to cover up the horrid (HORRID!) color scheme that was on the walls when we moved in. I don't think I've hated anyone like I hated the home's previous owners this weekend. (Again, I'd like to blame pregnancy hormones and lack of sleep due to a coughing toddler for my very un-Jesus-like thoughts.)

By Saturday night, my amazing husband had the room glowing with a nice, bright, even base of primer, which we let dry overnight before tackling the color on Sunday. We chose a light grey for the room and wanted it to be very mellow and serene; lots of neutrals and calm thoughts. :)

On a side note: I think it's funny how differently you approach different babies (I'm sure it's not just us.) Bella's room is a light, bright green with hot pink and other bright accents. There's a colorful tree and owl painted in one corner and picture frames that are all different colors. The main colors in Evie's room? Light grey and white. We have dark brown furniture, and all of the accessories are a nice contrast to the grey walls.

I'm going to post a few pictures as soon as I take them, but here are some "progress" pictures that Steve took along the way. I think he wanted to remind himself the next time his wife suggests we "just knock it out in one weekend."

After the border was finally off; ready to cover up those colors for good!

The guy at Lowe's was "pretty sure" we would only need one coat of Kilz to cover the dark blue. Not a cool joke, dude.

Horrible lighting, but finally all one color! Now it's ready for the grey!

No comments: