Thursday, September 18, 2014

Tour Of Little Man's Room

There are days when I think my iPhone takes the most amazing pictures, but today was not that day. I can't find my camera card for our actual camera, so these pictures will have to do!
 
Since our baby shower last Sunday (I'm still working on getting pictures), I've been a lot more motivated to get the nursery finished! (Gift cards will do that for a girl.)
 
We didn't do an official "theme", but it's vintage-y with greys and blues. It's also not very baby-ish, because, let's be honest, for the first three years or so, this room is much more for my enjoyment than for his. My favorite aspect of the room is how we were able to mix in a lot of personal or sentimental touches.
 

This is the chalkboard sign that Mel bought to use as a decoration piece for the shower. I am not artistic, but for some reason, one of my spiritual gifts seems to be lettering. I love how this sign turned out! (Clearly, humility is not one of my spiritual gifts.)
 

The bright light from the window didn't mix well with my iPhone, but here's the first corner...the blue curtains are a shower curtain from Target that I cut in half, since they're just going to be for decoration and never actually closed.
 
I was really hesitant about the faux, cowhide pillow (especially a faux cowhide pillow from WalMart), but I ended up really liking the different pattern that it brought to the space. The rocking chair was my Grandma's and I love the tall back!
 
 
You know we had to include my brass knuckles! They're shiny, they make me smile, and they add a touch of "tough". And this table! End tables are one of those weirdly expensive items, but I found this one on sale at Kohl's, and I had a gift card, so it was only $15.00!


I couldn't get a good picture of this painting to save my life, but our friend, Jen, painted it for us, and it's amazing! It was originally on canvas, but I'd been saving this frame to use in the nursery, and when I saw the picture, it was an epiphany moment! I love that it's a motorcycle, it's unique, and the artist is a friend!
 
[Side note: Jen told me that she was going to paint woodland creatures, but her amazing husband, Travis, intervened and insisted it be a motorcycle for Steve's sake. I owe you, Travis!]

 
How many times on this blog have I admitted that I'm a total sucker for a gallery wall? They just never get old...you don't have to measure! (Unless you have a "fancy" gallery wall, and then, God bless your level of patience.)
 
This wall in Little Man's room just makes me sigh with contentedness...

 
The motorcycle t-shirt is from Old Navy and the canvas print is a Percy Shelley quote from Mel. Oh, also, the shirt is hanging on one of my Grandpa's old tools! I've been holding on to the vintage tattoo print since we found out we were having a boy! It adds a great pop of color!


The top frame is a quote from Where the Wild Things Are, and it says, "I'll eat you up, I love you so." The center picture is from our recent family shoot and the gazelle is just a fun touch that I've seen in different pictures lately and wanted to try for myself. The BB gun was Steve's when he was a kid.
 

Again, these camera angles are terrible, but the frame holds a Norman Rockwell painting that I love of a boy in a doctor's, and the top wooden block has a beetle on it that we used at the shower to stamp burp cloths.
 
 
The last wall just before the door. (There's also a closet behind the door where we'll probably stash a dresser.) It's a tiny room, so we're using all the space we can find!

 
These shelves will probably be a work in progress; we've used these in all three nurseries and the items tend to change as the baby gets older or we find pieces we like better.
 
 
My original plan was to get these cool, vintage-inspired, wire storage baskets from Target, but they ended up being expensive and I had a gift card to Babies 'R' Us that came at the perfect time! The paint cans won't stay there (but that would be fun to explain to people!); we're thinking of painting the crib, but haven't settled on a color yet, so those green cans are sitting there until we're sure.
 
So, I think that's it for now! The crib hasn't been put together yet, because we're pretty sure my parents are coming for Christmas, and we'll need the space! Since Little Man will only be a few months, he'll still be in our room, and Rachel's bed can fit in the nursery. Once we get it painted, we'll just store it until after the holidays.
 

2 comments:

Holly Hodges said...

In regards to painting the crib: Not sure if you were even considering doing this part, but can I recommend NOT sanding down first? I am in the middle of sanding down our crib and it is a nightmare that involves paint dust all over our patio, ripped up gloves and hand skin, sore arm/shoulder/wrists for days at a time, and a thorough scrub down shower after every sanding session. It's awful.

I'm using Lullaby Paints since they are totally 100% baby-safe and thought I needed to sand first, but I'm pretty sure I could have just painted over the white paint the crib came in and it would've been fine. Especially if you're using spray paint, you would need even less to sand.

Just a suggestion from someone knee deep in this project -- take it or leave it! :)

And the nursery looks amazing!

Carmen Stone said...

Katie, I LOVE this! I love how you mixed so many sentimental things in there. :) Congratulations on little man to arrive soon!
Love,
Carmen & Jonathan