Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Little Bit Of Survival Mode

Steve is gone this week in Kansas City, so it's me and the girls - and my huge belly - desperately trying to stay sane until Friday night! On Sunday night, I was crying at the overwhelming prospect of being so tired while also being so alone with the girls, but I've taken a deep breath, given a lot of spankings, and made peace with the growing number of dishes in the sink.

Steve and I don't have "official" jobs around the house, but apparently his usual ones are the trash and the dishes, because the cans have been sitting (empty) at the end of the driveway since Sunday night, and I don't really see myself walking the 100-feet or so to go get them anytime soon, and I keep looking at the kitchen sink, wondering why there are so many dirty dishes!

Yesterday, I managed to coordinate Evelyn's Fall preschool party and still stay awake until after lunch, so I'm considering that a win! Now if I could only finish the thank-you's from my baby shower two weekends ago, and start working on the newsletter for one of the ministries I help out with, I'd be feeling super accomplished! How was I ever pregnant with a full-time job?!?

The girls still aren't doing a great job of sleeping consistently, but I've been able to take a calmer approach and calmly administer spankings or take them back to bed as needed. 

Does anyone else have a hard time spanking whithout being angry? My friend, Jess, and I were talking about this randomly on Sunday, and her husband's advice was that he always walks their son to his room to give the spanking because it gives him (the dad) a chance to calm down first. For some reason, that has really helped me this week, and I've been much more consistent and calm about spankings, without giving them in anger, or giving up on them completely, because they just seemed like so much work! 

Baby-wise, we're surviving! I am terrible at any sort of "women's intuition", but I keep looking at Steve and saying, "There's no way we make it to our due date." Since I've said that out loud, I'm sure Little Man will end up being a week late, but it just doesn't seem like we have an entire six weeks left. Maybe that's just wishful thinking! 

Praying for Friday to come quickly and for Steve to be home with us! He's scheduled to be out of town again in the middle of October, but we'll be 38 weeks by then, so we'll see! 

1 comment:

Norma Wires said...

Maybe he will arrive on Steve's birthday!