Wednesday, July 9, 2014

One More Project...

It's too tempting to have Steve home and not tackle some fun projects! 

Since my motivation and energy levels were not supporting my desire to paint the crib, I decided to pause on the nursery and finish up the girls' room instead. 
 
I really wanted to add curtains, but have you bought curtains recently? They're freakishly expensive. So, here's my cheat...I bought a shower curtain instead. Target sells gorgeous, fabric shower curtains and they're easily half the price of what it would cost to buy new curtains. It doesn't work for every room, but for the girls, my only priorities were colorful and inexpensive. 

 
Aren't they cute? Since the house had nice, wooden blinds when we moved in, I only wanted the curtains for decorations, not privacy. I cut the shower curtain in half and arranged it so that the hemmed sides were facing the inside. Done!


The walls above their beds used to have gallery walls, but they tend to knock into the pictures a lot (especially Evelyn), so I was looking for alternatives. 

I saw an idea that used circle wall decals in different colors to create a "cascading confetti" look and it was beautiful! But sometimes you have to use what you have, and I already had these pom-poms from Evelyn's 1st birthday party, so I fastened them to the wall instead for a 3-D effect. 


It wasn't my "dream design", but I ended up liking the color! I think I'll put some of their pictures up in between the pom-poms eventually, but I'm trying not to rush it until I know exactly what I want.
 

They also really a needed a little table between their bed. We didn't have a short table, but buying a new end table wasn't in our budget. I tried a few different desks and tables that didn't have a home yet from the old house, and their old, playroom bench seemed like a good fit. 

The cushion was badly stained, so I took it off, wiped the whole thing down, and had Steve drill a hole in the back for the lamp cord. It fit the space perfectly! 

The room looks so much more finished now and I love the colors! It's girly without being too pink, which is a good compromise between my normal love of neutrals (which pregnancy seems to be changing!) and Bella's desire to have everything in "rainbow colors" (Sweet baby Jesus).

No comments: