Friday, November 4, 2011

Meeting Our First Midwife

Last night, we met with and interviewed our first midwife. At first, I was a little nervous about meeting her because she had seemed kind of...abrupt in her emails. Not rude at all, just not overly warm and friendly. Meeting her face-to-face, though, was much different! She is very no-nonsense, which I think came across in the emails and she was extremely knowledgeable. She has attended over 1,000 home births and has been a midwife since the 70's.

She spent just as much time focused on Steve as she did me. She answered all of our questions about how she would respond in different situations and what could potentially go wrong. She is definitely not anti-doctors, and it was nice to hear about her willingness to be completely flexible if I decided that I wanted to go to a hospital at the last-minute.

Our only negative was that she doesn't have an office. She works completely out of her home, so she isn't able to run tests like an ultrasound at 20 weeks or a strep-B test at the very end. It wouldn't be too big of a deal to find a close midwife practice that is able to see us just for those tests, but it's an additional cost that we'd have to think about.

We meet with our next midwife on Monday. I'm ready to know for sure and get the ball rolling. I need to schedule my next prenatal visit very soon, so hopefully, we'll have a midwife by next week!

No comments: