Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Our Second Midwife...

Last night, Steve and I met with our second potential midwife. We knew the questions we needed to ask and we were confident that both of us were on the same page about what we were looking for.

I had found this midwife, Debbie, over the internet after searching countless sites for midwife practices. She was very friendly and has about 12 years of experience. She started with letting us ask questions, so we repeated much of what we had asked Margaret the week before. I kept wondering throughout the entire meeting what Steve was thinking and which midwife he was favoring. I was really praying that God would align our hearts and minds on this issue.

As we left, I asked him what he thought and which one he preferred. Thankfully, we were both completely in agreement!

We definitely preferred the first midwife, Margaret! Ironically, what I first felt was a slightly colder approach, I now really appreciate as knowledgeable and professional. Since we are very new to the world of midwives and home births, Steve and I both feel that we need the guidance of someone who knows what she's doing. Margaret was able to suggest classes that would help us with nursing and childbirth, as well as give us suggestions for different aspects along the way. She seemed to be a good mix of letting us do what we felt and offering the support we need.

With Debbie, she was much more "feel-goody", which is not at all a bad thing, and in fact, it's exactly what many women are looking for. Steve and I definitely felt that she was of the mindset of "just do what your body is telling you" or "do what you feel." Since we have never experienced or witnessed a natural birth, I think we both would have felt like we were floundering and wondering why she wasn't being more proactive.

We are excited to have made our choice and move forward. We are now focusing on some logistics like finding a midwife or OB practice that will let us get some tests done at their facility without seeing us as full-time patients. I will see my OB for the last time next month in order to do my 20 week ultrasound and find out the baby's gender. (So excited for this!) For some of the tests that happen towards the end, we will find a doctor willing to do those. If the baby is a boy, we will also need to find a place to do a circumcision, etc.

So...here we go! Another plus of Margaret is that she comes to our house for each visit; how great is that!

No comments: