Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Girls Gone Wise...

I teach the 10th grade girls' class at my church for Sunday School, and I am preparing to do a study with them on the book, Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild. I cannot tell you how unbelievably excited I am about this book. My parents did a great job of communicating to Mel and I about sex and dangers, etc., but I still feel like a lot of the teaching stopped at "don't have sex." In all fairness to my parents, it could have been that my hormonal teenage self was just ignoring the lessons, but still...
.
This book covers topics like body language, flirting, setting boundaries, and appearance. It would probably be a good study for a group of women, too, but I am just so excited to teach it to the 10th grade class. I would love to think that 16-year olds are still innocent and naive, but we all know that's just not true. And I really want to talk to them about real-life experiences; not just" don't have sex", but all of the decisions and warning flags that should go off in their minds before they're even at that point. I haven't finished the whole book yet, but I would still highly recommend it to someone with teenage girls. The website, http://www.girlsgonewise.com/, is also an incredible resource.
.

No comments: