Friday, June 13, 2014

The Great Infestation

Oh my word. Evelyn got lice. I'm not really sure from where (and really, why does it matter?), but I'm assuming it was nursery, because it's really the only place where she comes into contact with other kids or toys.
 
I had noticed her scratching her head for a couple of days, but didn't think anything about it until she started saying, "Itchy, mama." I looked at the nape of her neck and just thought, "Crap." When it comes to the girls, I tend to think, "Eh. It'll be fine.", but with lice, you can't do that. You have to be thorough!
 
I called Cathy to get her opinion on using mayo (it's an idea I've seen on the internet), but she recommended just using the good ol' fashioned lice medicine from the pharmacy. Whoever wrote the instructions on the back of the box clearly never had to follow them with a two-year old! You had to apply the medicine (with clothes still on so that you minimize skin contact), let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse into a warm lather, use the nit comb over their entre head, and THEN put them in the shower again with normal shampoo.
 
All I could think about while reading all of the instructions was, "Yeeeeaahh, that's not going to happen..."
 
I did the shampoo and the nit comb, but it was horrible and Evelyn pitched a fit the entire time. Well, she was a champ for the application of the medicine, but she hated having to sit still while I used the nit comb to go through her hair. I didn't bother leaving all of her clothes on; it was just one of those moments when I figured God would just have to protect her from weird chemicals. I decided to put the medicine on myself and Bella, too, just to be careful.
 
 
Slathering on the medicated shampoo. She was very serious throughout this process!

 
Watching Bella get her own torture applied...

 
Our "sad faces" while waiting to rinse out our shampoo.
 
Luckily, we got everything done, and beds and toys washed. I've used the nit comb for about 3 nights in a row, to double-check Evelyn's head, and I'll do another application of the medicine this coming weekend. She hasn't said anything more about itching, so we're crossing our fingers and saying a prayer that they're all gone! Luckily, I never found actual bugs, just the eggs. (Shudder.) For some reason, that actually makes me feel a little better.

No comments: