Friday, June 13, 2014

I Just Have To Tell

I had one of those parenting moments where you can't admit it in front of your kids, but secretly you're thinking, "My kids rock!"
 
On Wednesday, my friend, Andi, and I took our girls to Chick-fil-A. There's a wall of glass right next to the play area, so Andi and I got to eat lunch while the girls played after lunch. Evelyn is in a hitting stage, which I hate, but for the most part, it stays between she and Bella. At the CFA playground, I was watching them out of the corner of my eye, and saw a little boy push Evelyn. Well, she didn't back down; instead, she slapped him. Not like, across the face or anything, but hard enough that he started to cry. I realized that no other parents were moving, which meant that the little boy's parents either couldn't see him or were waiting.
 
I decided to slowly start moving in that direction in case things escalated, and as I was walking towards the door, I saw the little boy wind up to hit Evelyn again. He was the same size as her, so he wouldn't have hurt her, but out of nowhere, Bella walks in front of Evelyn and shoves the little boy with two hands against his chest. Hard enough to knock him on his tail.
 
I know that I was supposed to discipline both of the girls for hitting, and I did, but I was also secretly really proud of Bella was standing up for her sister. This boy was not being a bully at all - he was the same size as Evelyn and it was just a regular, playground skirmish, but it was hard not to have a twisted sense of pride that my girls held their own. I know, it's immature, but what can I say?

 
The girls eating their (victory) ice cream with Abby.

No comments: