Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Our Life Through The Eyes Of Facebook

I know Facebook gets a bad wrap - it leads to discontentment, unfair comparisons, everyone portrays their children as perfect, false Christianity, politics, etc. - but for me, Facebook has given me a brief moment to stop and chuckle instead of stressing out or banging my head against a wall.
 
It gives me a chance to not take myself too serious, be a little irreverent, and know that there are others out there who feel my pain in motherhood. In all seriousness, I love being a stay-at-home mom; it's amazing to be home with my girls every, single day, and I (very literally) begged God (and Steve) to allow me to do this.
 
But that doesn't mean that I have to pretend that everyday is rainbows and giggles; Facebook allows me to share some of those not-so-perfect (and sarcastic) moments with an extremely supportive audience. There are young mommas who are going through exactly what I am, grandmas with a been-there-done-that smile and word of encouragement, and single men who thank God they don't live in my house. (See how I'm building up the youth of tomorrow?)
 
So, here's our life during the last few weeks through the eyes of my Facebook posts. Some of them actually made it to Facebook; some of them just passed through my mind in Facebook-post-style (please tell me I'm not the only one whose thought process does that!).
 
  • Finally rented Sound of Music to share with Bella. Watching Liesl and Rolfe dancing in the gazebo, Bella looked at me and sighed, "Mom, she's an awesome jumper..."
 
  • Watching Evelyn eat old grapes from under the couch while scrubbing her poop off the highchair. Pace yourself, kid, I can only do one disaster at a time.
 
  • Riding in the car today, Bella announced, "I have a baby alligator in my belly just like you have a baby in your belly, Mama. Whoa! Look! The baby alligator's getting bigger!" No clue what was happening in the backseat.
 
  • When pregnant with Bella, I craved Chinese food and sushi; with Evelyn, it was Chick-fil-A; this baby wants a whole lot of tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella! I swear, I'm going to birth an Italian.
 
  • For our upcoming plane trip to visit Grandma and our cousins, I wanted to get Bella a little backpack, so she could carry her own toys and stuff on the plane. For months, I've seen a cute, little owl backpack in Target in some sassy colors. Nope. Bells wanted Minnie Mouse. I wanted so badly to make up some dumb excuse for why we couldn't take Minnie home (yes, I know that's pathetic), but I took a deep breath, got over myself, and said yes. She was so thrilled! Of course, she also wanted to take home the massive, wheeled version of the Minnie Mouse suitcase, but luckily, got over that quickly.
 
  • Nothing makes Steve Wires cry like watching videos of military coming home and surprising their loved ones. Bonus points if it's a dad surprising his daughter. Every. Single. Time. It's awesome.
 
  • Evelyn keeps getting stuck in the dollhouse that's in her room. She sticks one foot in, pushes her diaper into the living room, then looks at me and fusses until I rescue her. As soon as I pull her out, she's sticking her foot right back in.
 
  • Talking on our imaginary phones together...
Me: "Hey Bells, how're you doing?"
Bella: "Pretty good. I'm in jail."
Me: "You're in jail?"
Bella: "Yep. But don't worry, I'm not stuck. I'm just hanging out."
Me: "Oh! Well, that's good. Is anyone with you?"
Bella: "Yeah. Just Prince Philip."
 
  • Evelyn just pooped out one of Bella's dollhouse toys. Sweet.
 
  • Hey guys! My Facebook account was temporarily hacked tonight. Please don't click on any news links. As awesome as it would be, I have NOT lost 12 lbs. using raspberry drops!
 
  • Bella just asked if Pocahontas and John Smith were married. I'm torn between historical accuracy and wanting to convince her that you don't kiss a boy until she's married.
 
And, that, ladies and gentlemen, has been our month through the eyes of Facebook. You're welcome.
 
 
 


No comments: