Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Wonderful Christmas Chaos 2011

Does anyone actually have a relaxing Christmas? You're going to have to tell me how you do that. We had a short but great trip down to Florida this past weekend! We made it in around 3 AM the "morning" of Christmas Eve and left the morning after Christmas; like I said, very quick.

On Christmas Eve, we mostly just hung around my parents' house. We spent some time in the afternoon with my grandparents and my uncle and his wife. We don't get to see my uncle very often, so that was really nice. For dinner, we took burgers and ham dip (a Meyer family favorite...not served together!) down to the beach and had a cookout. It was about 70 degrees and so beautiful! We sat at a picnic table, ate a ton, and took turns walking Bella down to the water to play in the sand. We got to watch the sunset and listen to Christmas carols on Steve's iPhone.

Our Christmas Eve tradition is to watch the old 1970's version of The Christmas Carol. We only made it about halfway through before Mel and I fell asleep, so we had to finish that the next night.

I love Christmas morning in my parents' house! We still do stockings for all of the adults and we pile onto my mom and dad's bed. (Yes, even Steve...he felt very awkward that first year!) :)

After stockings, we ate breakfast and got ready for church. Mel and I sang a duet together and we sang a trio with dad. Bella behaved so well during the service! It really helped that it wasn't a full sermon, but the funniest thing was that she was singing Little Mermaid songs during all of the hymns and carols! Imagine trying to sing Hark the Herald Angels Sing while Bella is busting out Under the Sea!

We came home to open presents and have an amazing roast that my mom cooked! Some favorite presents this year...Bella got an art easel, handmade by her Papa! It looks super cool and Mimi got her all sorts of art supplies to go with it. My favorite present was a sheet set for our bed! It sounds lame, but it's really expensive to buy sheets for our Olympic Queen-sized bed (a foolish newlywed purchase...not the bed, just the odd size) and we haven't slept on an actual bottom sheet for about two years. You can see why I'd be excited for a new set! Steve loved a Chipotle gift card from Mel and a speaker/charger station for his iPhone. We are spoiled!

All of my pictures are on Mel's camera, so I'll have to post those later. I also need to include some pictures from the great time we had at Steve's parents for Thanksgiving and an early Christmas.

Next year, we'll have Christmas in our own home for the first time, Bella will be 3 1/2 years old, and Baby #2 will be 8 months old! Speaking of babies: My favorite name is still Josephine Scout, but we're a little stuck over possible nicknames.

1 comment: