Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Dubai: Dune "Buggy" Rides

Grandma Ferguson and Grandma Wires requested more info and pictures from our summer trip to Dubai. I can't give details about names and places, but I'll do my best to include some of our favorite moments from the trip. Just a note...not all are spiritual. :) First up, our ride across the sand dunes! It's a traditional tourist activity over there and was very cool!

We all met in the middle of the dunes with about ten different Jeeps. We started out around 9:00 AM and our drivers pulled over on the side of the road to have their morning prayer time.


Here's our driver. His name was Raasman, and he was really funny. He sang the entire time and gave all the women nicknames. When he called one woman "Lela," which means "light," I was really looking forward to hearing mine. Oh well! He called me "Rohbob" which apparently is like a local guitar over there. I knew I wasn't lucky enough to get the pretty name!


These are a couple of shots from our car...




I wish I could show better angles of how our car was sliding down the dunes. The woman next to me actually threw up in the car! It was not pleasant, but overall, we loved it! Here's a picture of our whole team after we stopped for a break.