Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Our Baby News!

This post was written on Sunday, August 21st, but I saved it until we decided to tell people about the pregnancy.

After praying, following schedules, charting cycles, peeing on more sticks than I can remember, and some more praying, we are pregnant with our second baby!

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." I Samuel 1:27

Sunday had been a very long day. There was a pre-church meeting, a new class for Bella since it was Promotion Sunday, our new class with Trey and Whitney, big church, a church-wide lunch afterwards to preview our new children's wing, a baby shower that I was co-hosting, and a second baby shower that Mel and I had to attend. Whew! A long day...I think Mel and I got home around 6:00.

After a day of baby showers and talking about babies, I was a little discouraged. I am not a naturally patient person and it has been frustrating to wait so long for this baby. In the weeks leading up to this, I had been feeling like I was supposed to be this "spiritual" person who was praying for patience with God's timing, and I still think that's important, but I started kneeling down and asking God for exactly what I wanted: a baby.

Whitney had talked to me recently about trying a brand-name pregnancy test because they were able to detect the pregnancy hormone sooner, and of course, I wasn't able to resist. Steve and I ran out on Sunday night and grabbed a test. I really felt like I was just being a glutton for punishment and was going to be more discouraged when I saw the bold "NO" flash across the screen.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

When the screen flashed "YES", the biggest emotion going through my body was relief. I just sat down and started to cry. I was upstairs by myself, so I was able to just have my meltdown moment. Steve and I have been spared a lot of heartache in terms of conceiving, but I can still say that we have cried out to God for this baby. We have longed for this child, maybe even more so than when we were trying for Bella. When I walked downstairs to tell Steve, I couldn't even say anything at first. I was still teary-eyed, so I just handed the test to him.

(P.S. This is pretty much the exact same way I told him about Bella. I always have these super-cool plans in my head and then, it's so unexpected to actually get a positive test, that I show him the stick in surprise! One day I'll have more patience!)

So that's our news! You've heard me say before that I would love a boy, but we will be perfectly content with whichever God chooses to give us. We just think it'd be fun to have one of each!

3 comments:

The Frederick Nesters said...

CONGRATS!!! I can relate to you with the little patience, the crying out to God for a baby. Perhaps God will have the same sense of humor with you and give you twins too! haha. :)

The Garcia's said...

I am so happy for you and Steve! Looking forward to all the new baby posts!

The Clark Family said...

Love this post, Katie! So happy for you guys!