Monday, November 2, 2015

Steve-O-Ween 2015

Friday night was Steve-O-Ween! Or, our annual Halloween costume party to celebrate Steve's birthday. So, so fun! I started cooking at 9:00 in the morning, and it was worth it! (Well, mostly worth it.) My new idea this year was to add some games, so that people could have something to do while hanging out. They turned out to be a lot of fun! 


Usually, I have the menu and cake planned out in my head about a month in advance, but so much has been going on that I haven't had time to think about it. This idea popped in my head a few days before the party when I was laying in bed, trying to come up with cake ideas. It turned out pretty well! And really, nothing beats homemade, cream cheese frosting, so we were all good.


BBQ Chicken sliders with coleslaw, Beer BBQ meatballs, Bacon cheese dip, and some olives and cheese plates. We also cleared out the entire playroom this year, to allow more space for moving around. It helped a lot!
 

We went for a 1920's theme this year and dressed as a ganster and flapper. Steve carried around the BB gun to finish off the costume. 


I've started getting Mel's costume supplies whenever I start buying things for Steve and I's, because I know Mel just doesn't have the time and doesn't think about it until the last minute. I thought she looked awesome, and I loved her hair!


We had an Ironman, a matching Dia de los Muertos couple, some matching PJ's, Paul Blart and his prisoner, a really big sugar plum fairy (our youth pastor, Joel), and some others. I love seeing what everyone comes as each year! It's my favorite part!


Andi, dressed as Paul Blart's prisoner, and I playing Connect 4. We look weirdly intense in this picture.


Carolyn and I, cutting the cake.


Matt, the woodcutter, and Joel, the sugar plum fairy, playing Jenga. 




I always forget to put actual candles on his cake, because I'm doing some sort of design, so the last two years, Steve has had to "blow out" the lighter. We're pretty classy around here.


We call ourselves the "Stay At Home Dad's" Club. These are great men, who let me plan playdates because they're currently my only stay-at-home friends. Ben and Matt each have two, little boys, and their wives are both doctors, so they stay at home, and every once in awhile, we get to go play at the park and see other grown-ups!


My other favorite thing about this night is getting to see almost all of our friends in one spot! We have kids and jobs and responsibilities, and we barely get enough time to spend with our closest friends, let alone our expanded circle. Once a year, we get to be silly and adult, and it's such a great time!


Another Steve-O-Ween in the books! Happy Birthday, babe!


No comments: