Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Kindergarten Graduation

My biggest struggle with this blog tends to be: the pictures or the backstory? Do I just post the pictures, or do I take the time and talk about what was happening, how  we were feeling, and all of that? With this post, you're going to get the feelings...
 
Bella will never remember it, but I blew Kindergarten graduation. I had these huge expectations built up in my head (you'd think I'd learn), and wanted her to perform like every other kid there. Bella loves being in pictures; as long as family are the ones taking the pictures. She doesn't do well with other people's expectations, she doesn't like the unexpected, and she hates the pressure to perform.
 
Looking back, she did a great job. She really did! But she didn't perform like I wanted her to. Which I know was totally unfair, but in that moment, I just didn't care. All 35 children before her had walked across the platform, accepted their diploma from the principal, and turned to smile at their parents. Since our last name is a "W", Bella was the last child to go. She was on the stage all by herself when they called her name. She walked towards the principal with a smile, took her diploma, and then turned towards a see of hundreds of adults, all with their cameras out and staring at her. It's like I could see it in slow-motion and just know what was going to happen. Except that, instead of doing what was best for her, I got frustrated, teared up, and practically missed the moment. As everyone clapped, Bella put her hands over her ears and stood there with her head bowed. Once the attention was off her, she was a different kid - excited, sweet, and talking to all of her friends.
 
It was a learning moment for me to be sure.
 
 
Putting her flower in the class' vase.
 
 
Looking out into the audience for us. She did this for a solid 3 minutes; it was hilarious!
 
 
Accepting her diploma from Rusty Hill, our principal.
 
And celebrating afterwards...
 




 
With her teacher, Cheryl Thornton

 
Bella and her best friend, Kate

 
We are so incredibly proud of how she did this year! She has come so far, in Reading, Math, attention span, focus, social skills, everything! We are so excited to have a break this Summer!

No comments: